Huge appetite

I eat a lot then feel guilty about it. This only happens on meds. Whenever I reduce my dose or take Ldopa I eat much less, only one meal a day. I read that dopamine blocks hunger and APs block dopamine. Why does sz have to break the most essential neurotransmitter in the brain??

Ldopa boosts dopamine and blocks my hunger but it worsens my positive symptoms. I was 140lb before sz, gained 160lb bcz of meds. I almost want to stop meds and take Ldopa to get back to my presz weight, 135-140lb.

2 Likes

I am exchanging good mental health for bad physical health. Its a bad deal.

1 Like

If you are losing weight then you get to be perpetually hungry, which also sucks.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, Ldopa worsened your symptoms because you kept upping the dose, too much too fast. Your brain didnā€™t have time to adapt.

Do you think you could maybe do a low dose for at least a month, and then only increase a little at a time if you have to?

2 Likes

I tried low doses but they didnā€™t help. I have to take at least 5x 60mg pills a day to see benefits but then I start having positive symptoms. When I took 7 at once I started hearing voices.

1 Like

Taking Ldopa is like reducing AP dose as it does the opposite of meds. Meds block dopamine.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s because just like with meds, you need to gi e your brain time to build up the levels internally and get used to it.
And itā€™s not a matter of high vs low dopamine overall.
Sz folks have higher dopamine some places and lower dopamine in other parts of the brain.
Itā€™s an imbalance.

2 Likes

Yea I know, thats what my Dr said. Positive symptoms are caused by high dopamine in some brain parts and negative symptoms are caused by low dopamine in other parts. So when I take Ldopa it boosts dopamine where its low improving negative symptoms but at the same time it boosts dopamine thats already high so it causes positive symptoms. I see no solution to this, neither my psychiatrist. I am trapped by this sz.

1 Like

I need superpowers to beat sz without meds in order to improve my negative symptoms. Then with more superpowers take dopamine like Adderall or Ritalin to further improve negative symptoms and become like I was before sz. I think I will keep dreaming about these superpowers.

I donā€™t think there is any magic pill to help us. If you are only 165 lbs you are doing pretty good. Iā€™m at 195 after being 160lbs for two years. Before that I was 145. Too skinny for 5ā€™11ā€.

1 Like

I wish, I really gained 160lb from meds, so now I am almost 300lb.

1 Like

Oh damn. Do you walk at all? I donā€™t exercise at all. I try to eat healthy though and donā€™t eat out often. I guess it affects all of us differently

1 Like

No I donā€™t exercise eaither. I try to eat healthy stuff but the problem is that I eat too much and salads never fill me up.

2 Likes

I gained some weight on the medications as well.

I exercise daily for an hour, but I find it difficult to get to pre-sz weight. In fact I have more weight on Ziprasidone now than I had on Clozapine. I donā€™t quite understand whyā€¦Ziprasidone is supposed to be weight neutral.

1 Like

Soups can be filling yet low in calories or shakes. Thereā€™s a whole :earth_americas: to lose weight.

2 Likes

I just scare myself into eating ā€˜healthyā€™

I tell myself all sorts of scary shiit in order to get down to business

1 Like

Iā€™ve quit bread, sugar and rice. Also potatoes. My clothes seem to fit better. I havenā€™t weighed myself but I was 260 pounds plus Iā€™m short 5ā€™2ā€ so itā€™s not good.

2 Likes

I was 160lb before meds. I got prescribed zyprexa and got up to 306lbs. The only way to really do it is to get moving man. Maybe you could just start with some laps around the house even? Just to get the blood flowing. I also cut down on the junk too but didnā€™t make any drastic changes. Even 15 minutes of doing laps around the house could be a huge start!! I am now 260lbs

1 Like

I feel your pain. The meds tend to make me fat, lazy, and hungry. My problem is probably emotional eating. I eat to feel some kind of pleasure and immediately regret it. I try to do other things to fill that void now and Iā€™ve managed to lose 60 lbs, but Iā€™ve got a long way to go before Iā€™m at a healthy weight. It does get kinda depressing.

1 Like

Yeah. I have no motivation to exercise so I donā€™t blame you. Maybe adding a walk to your routine is a good idea. I donā€™t walk now but Iā€™m going to start once my puppy gets big enough. Part of the reason I got her. So Iā€™d get up more and itā€™s definitely working.

1 Like