@LED Wanna Run Away?

Do you (or any other migraine sufferers) wanna run away with me to Arizona? I hear the dry, consistent weather is better for them.

I’ve got one today. All I can think about is this stupid headache. Stupid barometric pressure.

3 Likes

I lived in Phoenix, AZ for ten years in the 80’s and 90’s. I got migraines there all the time. Not so much there as I do here though. Here, in Omaha, NE, I get headaches every single day.

1 Like

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-new-treatment-adults-migraine

3 Likes

@everhopeful, I’m starting botox injections for my migraines next month.

2 Likes

Wow. Good luck with it. I hope it helps.

I don’t suffer from them myself but I remember seeing that new fda approved med a while ago. So I thought I’d post it.

2 Likes

I had migraines until I started on depakote. Wowsers!

1 Like

I hope it helps you. I’ve been getting botox for about three years now, and it definitely decreases the intensity of my headaches, though not the number, it would seem. It did at first, and I had hardly any headaches at all. Then they crept back in. I hope they don’t keep getting worse. I don’t know how some people manage to get up out of bed and work and just function with headaches like this.

I just started Aimovig three days ago, and I feel very lucky to have gotten it. It’s the first time my insurance has approved a self-injected for me.

@everhopeful The med would have to be under $1,000/month for me to get it approved by insurance. Even generic migranal (dihydroergotamine) costs more than that, so my doctor had to fight to get it approved for me. I’m going to see how the Aimovig goes. My neuro won’t prescribe new meds if they haven’t had at least six months on the market anyways. Thanks for sharing the link, though. It’s certainly worth looking into. When you’re desperate, you’re desperate!

@SkinnyMe You can always come back to AZ with me. lol

2 Likes

Thanks but no thanks @Happy_H. Arizona might have been a bit better for my migraines but it definitely wasn’t better for my mood. I need the four seasons of Nebraska. As soon as my flight touched down in Nebraska my mood lifted like magic. My mood can’t take that constant blazing sun of Arizona.

1 Like

Here’s an article that mentions a few new meds for migranes. I’ll post it just in case anyone finds it helpful.

2 Likes

I’ve been headache free for about 2 months except one day I ate some chocolate and started to get a migraine but it just vanished and I have no idea why. But I’m happy.

2 Likes

Why do all the migraine drugs take a whole two hours to work? That’s a long time to suffer with such pain.

With the aid of meditation apps, cold packs and Excedrin Migraine, I can usually get rid of my migraines within about 25 minutes.

1 Like

I am so jealous! I’d juggle upside down just to get relief that fast.

2 Likes

Yes you’re right. They all seem to take 2 hours. That does suck.

@Happy_H, @Leaf, The trick is to treat them right the minute you feel the migraine starting. Take two Excedrin Migraine alternating with your prescribed migraine medicine. Lie down in a comfortable place, in the dark and quiet. Put a cold pack over both your eyes and forehead and lie back. Put a guided meditation app on your smartphone and listen to the guided meditation for about 30 minutes preferably one about pain or headaches. I like the meditation app InsightTimer.com because it is free. Listen to the guided meditation with the cold pack over your eyes and forehead. When the 30 min meditation is finished, your headache should be gone.

@Leaf, @Happy_H, If heat feels better than cold, use heat, or warm rather.

2 Likes

I’ve tried meditation, cold and hot treatments, relaxing baths, etc. I always start treating my headache as soon as it starts to come on or I know the treatment won’t help. Still, I can’t usually get 100% free of the pain. Sometimes, mine hit me like a ton of bricks, too. As in, I can’t treat it right away because it starts out full force. That really, really sucks. I’m glad you are able to find relief, though. It’s not easy.

Out of curiosity, do any of y’all (@Leaf @SkinnyMe) have migraines run in the family?

1 Like

nope, I’m the only one that gets them

Oh man. I wish. If the heat wouldn’t kill me due to my dysautonomia I would run away with you in a heartbeat! I feel one coming on already and I’m dreading it. I usually get prodrome late afternoon and then the migraine hits me in the middle of the night. :-1: I’m hoping I’m wrong, but I doubt I am.

How are you feeling now? Do you have abortives that work?

My abortives are touch and go. Triptans used to work wonders for me, but now they do nothing. Migranal used to do nothing, but now it’s the most effective thing I have. Same with Sprix- now it works but didn’t used to. They just don’t always work. Or if they do, it may take more than one treatment, which, depending on the med, may be 12 hours apart. Sucks, but what can you do?

1 Like

I feel ya. I need to email my doctor and see if he can prescribe something different. All I have right now are a few triptans and some fioricet that messes with my heart. :-1:

Yeah, I have Fiorcet, Reglan, and Indomethacin, too. Zofran, Sprix, Migranal, and Aimovig

1 Like