Chronic Migraines

So, I just finished up with my neurologist about my chronic migraines. He’s given me 3 choices and I need to research them, so I figured I’d ask for advice here!

He wants me to either do Botox, one of the monthly injections (don’t know the names yet), or acupuncture.

Have any of you tried any of these? Opinions? Did Medicare cover them?

3 Likes

Acupuncture helps a bit, but you’re going to need a few sessions before you see results. Definitely worth a shot.

1 Like

Well, looks like Medicare doesn’t cover any of the monthly injectable meds. :-1:

Has anyone had success fighting for Medicare to cover a med?

I had migraines all the time until I started Depakote. I guess I’m just saying. Wish I could be more help, @LED

1 Like

I know this isn’t one of your options, but imitrex (sumitriptan) is pill that I was prescribed for headaches but it is for migraines. You can take it twice a week.

That’s what I have now, I take 3 100mg pills/day for the last 3 days. That’s an entire months supply and it did nothing. Not that I expected it to. It didn’t work last time I tried it either. I’ve tried a ton of different meds for my migraines and nothing seems to help.

Hopefully the Botox and acupuncture will help, though.

I was on imitrex, too. It didn’t work too much, for me, either.
Boy, I hope they can get you squared away soon. Take care.

1 Like

Hiya!

Do you know what the monthly injections are? I have gotten couple injections but the nurse never told me.

Acupuncture relieves some of the pain, but it did not work for the pain I was experiencing.

1 Like

I take Percocet for mine and it works like a charm but I only get about 3 headaches a month

Another thing that kinda worked for me was zomig it’s a nasal spray and idk if it’s an option but it wasnt bad for me.

Also neck exercises help me a bit

1 Like

My sister injects herself once a month I think. It’s the best she’s got.

She did Botox but was hard or something

1 Like

I get headaches every single day and migraines about 3-4 days a week. You can’t control that kind of pain with narcotics safely.

1 Like

Aimovig, Ajovy, and Emgality

Did you get Medicare to cover it?

No, we do not have insurance. However, the Korean national healthcare covered a little. It was expensive nonetheless.

I had so many IVs/injections etc so I don’t remember what the doctor had me on.
This is one-time injection right? Or one injection per month?

Also, forgot to add that with every narcotic there is a side effect. You should ask your doctor about side effects if you are going for the medication route.

I don’t take narcotics.

Sorry, meant medications. Welp.

My insurance doesn’t cover the monthly injectable meds. So I’m getting referrals for Botox and acupuncture. Hopefully I can actually afford them. Not sure if I can yet. But we’ll see.

1 Like

Okay, please keep us updated. Everything will be okay! :heart:

1 Like

I used to get migraines real bad, had one that lasted 3 months, I was a wreck, I seen all kinds of Doctors, cat scats etc, finally I met one Doctor that said my blood was to thick, he thinned the blood and they were gone.

1 Like

@LED has your neurologist suggested propranolol? They greatly improve my headaches

1 Like