Latuda didn't seem to work

About to finish my 7th day of Latuda at 40mg. I know I should wait longer before ruling it out but I have a feeling that Latuda is going to be like Abilify for me in that it won’t work which would make me treatment-resistant. So far, aps are like water for me, there are no effects or side effects.

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that, but I hope you will have more
Luck with your next try

1 Like

Maybe go up in dose. I’m on 160 geodon + 80 Latuda.

Took 6 months to get dosage that feels right.

2 Likes

How long before you noticed effects?

What will really bake your noodle is when you discover that the meds that were a hard fail on the first attempt work magically well years later.

3 Likes

For me I switched from Seroquel + Abilify stopped working.

When switching to Geodon, felt effects in a few weeks so I got lucky that I know it was gonna work out.

1 Like

You need to give it far more time than 7 days for it to work

2 Likes

I’ve seen it take months for people to really start to benefit from a med. Nothing ever happens fast with this illness. Unless it’s relapsing from doing something dumb – that seems to be the exception.

2 Likes

This is why after so many switches this year, I put my foot down with the treatment team and said I want to give Latuda a proper go

The dose is far higher than I want it, but I think it was the right decision

At least this med doesn’t cause the tiredness of many others

I am weighing up the benefits of being functional enough to work on a med

2 Likes

I’m on latuda and it took a few months for it to work for me and side effects to go away or be less.

2 Likes

How long did you stay on aripoprazole for before ruling it out?

1 Like

It could take up to a couple months to notice an effect.
Also for latuda, it’s important to take it with 350-500 kalories

1 Like

I took Geodon for 20 years with 500 kcal fatty food twice a day and it really did the job. Later I was put on qutiapine and I’m now on 800 mg qutiapine and a depot. And these works wonders.
The only problems I had with Geodon was that you have to eat giant meals when you poped the pills.
It made me constipated
It also made me angry and manic.

1 Like

It took a month for Geodon to fully work. That’s when the delusions stopped.

1 Like

I hope that doesn’t happen. I’m hoping for a consistent response to meds, I think the illness would be more likely to be better treated in this case.

Thanks for your insight.

Well, I’ve been on Abilify for about a year and a half straight (had on and off periods), but I knew it wasn’t working for sure after about 6 months. I know, a week is nothing compared to 6 months for trying a med. Lol, the replies on this post are making me think I should just be patient and give it a longer try before jumping to conclusions. My pdoc said I should be noticing a change by now though.

2 Likes

Thanks for your insight.

1 Like

It is tough waiting to see if a medication will work, but I’m guessing it might be worth it, longer than 7 days wait.

1 Like

Perhaps you need a higher dose? I’m partially med resistant. Most meds don’t work well or cause unbearable side effects. Currently, I’m taking high doses of Latuda, Seroquel, and Lithium Carbonate, which seems to being doing a good job.

1 Like