Jordan Peterson on schizophrenia

Is this theory about eyes movement real? I did some research and found that people with schizophrenia can have lower eyes movements instead.

I hate Jordan Peterson. He is a very smart man but you dont want to listen to him. Why would you take advice from a man who thinks that life is suffering?

1 Like

You may not, but I do. Iā€™m one of his Youtube subscribers and I own two of his books.

Because in many ways it is.

5 Likes

I still listen to him because he has very good insights. He makes me more grounded sometimes and helps me embrace my own suffering (instead of trying to avoid it). I like to listen to other people as well.

By the way, I think when JP says life is suffering, he doesnā€™t mean itā€™s just suffering. He probably says that because when people try happiness as their goal, they simply suffer more because they canā€™t accept their own life. But when you accept suffering and donā€™t expect any outcome, you make things happen.

Edit: but I still didnā€™t grasp what he means with eyes movements in people with schizophrenia. Maybe heā€™s talking just when these people hallucinate.

Life has good and bad moments. I appreciate his insight into overcoming the bad moments and learning from them moving forward.

1 Like

Yes but I feel he tells you all the terrible things in life that you can do absolutely nothing about. Its not everything he says though I have one of his books myself, just most of it. Above video for example. I suppose if you find that stuff interesting but personally no I think heā€™s a swamp monster. Want nothing to do with him.

I think Jordan P suffers from ā€˜delusions of insightā€™. He has depression and delusions of insight are a symptom in severe cases.

1 Like

I really like this list of rules:

:blush:

2 Likes

Awesome post!

I like his program Future Authoring but I still think he should give tools on how to find lifeā€™s purpose/meaning (maybe Past Authoring approaches it).

This is a good one. :smiley_cat:

ā€œ35. Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street.ā€

3 Likes

I know, right?!? I see a kitty and I want to pet it.

:heart:

1 Like

I have heard before that people with schizophrenia have abnormal eye tracking. Itā€™s called ā€œsaccadic eye movementsā€ and it is defined as ā€œa rapid irregular movement of the eye as it changes focus moving from one point to another, e.g. while reading.ā€ I have also heard that many normal people have this too, so it cannot be used diagnostically for schizophrenia.
I cannot elicit this form of eye movement sitting here today.
Jordan Peterson also says that schizophrenia is a disorder of voluntary and involuntary processes due to the underlying unconscious protruding through the ego. (He gives the example of fantasies.) It is plausible, but there is a lot more to say. A 1:57 sound clip cannot convince me.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve never heard of this Jordan Peterson person. I need to stop living under a rock.

2 Likes

Thank you for the explanation, @Here4You!

I never noticed I could have this kind of eyes movement, even when I was psychotic. Peterson says we have similar eyes movement when weā€™re dreaming, so itā€™s an interesting issue to understand better schizophrenia. Carl Jung talks about our dreams as a form to access our unconscious mind.

quote=ā€œjassy22, post:14, topic:144827, full:trueā€]
Iā€™ve never heard of this Jordan Peterson person. I need to stop living under a rock.
[/quote]

Heā€™s famous in US, but maybe not in your country. Heā€™s also very famous among men.

I wish they would develop a machine that measures eye movement and could quantify the changes that occur in schizophrenia. I canā€™t tell if I have saccadic or smooth eye tracking.

Related?

Me too! This is the first time I have ever heard of him! This website clues me into many things!

1 Like

My husband just said I do this very same thing with my eyes. How would I know though unless someone told me that? This is the first time anyone ever told me that I make weird eye movements.

He is in AMAZING shape! Good for him.