Is your life happy or sad that you had mental illness?

I know many will say that they are sad that they had mental illnesses but I still wanna know your view and answers,is your life happy or sad with mental illnesses?

its probably the same as if I didn’t except that I am doing different things than I would have done if I was not ever sick. I would have gone to university for example. I know I can now if I want to , but I don’t anymore. And in my illness I found God, which is a good thing. SZ is both a blessing and a curse. I still have my life, but it doesn’t seem as full as it would have been if I wasn’t sick. But its still a life - I have a wonderful husband who makes me very happy. So at times my life is sad that I have mental illness, and other times it is happy despite the mental illness.

1 Like

Sure, I live a happy life! SZ is just another wall to climb over, and I don’t think it’s insurmountable.

2 Likes

I feel nothing, quite bad events have happened in my life, but I continue to smile, I am alive, but I do not have real emotions, I never cry, and I rather smile :smile:

no more sad than other people’s lives.
I am doing really well now but have suffered for years.
and sometimes I think about my life being sad but I see what is going on in the world and there you have it.

tomas saszz says there is no such thing as mental illness

Yeah I went to Hell and back - some of it has to do with my mental illness, some of it is related to the stigma and obstacles created by having a severe mental illness. The truth is that I am neither happy or sad. It is what it is, I do believe in fate in many ways. I do know that I have many limitations because of my illness, but I manage to get by in spite of my illness - I take my meds religiously and am learning not to give a ■■■■ about the trivial things in life. I reached a milestone birthday today - and I am realizing that life is way too short and valuable to get bent out of shape because of toxic people, and believe me 99% of the population falls under the toxic category

2 Likes

I believe things happen for a reason…I used to complain that I never had free time when I worked before I got sick, now I have all the time in the world to explore the arts, and music…with a lot of support from my family I can say that I am happy mostly…when I’m not I’m usually rehashing stuff from the past…so I stay away from that habit and I suddenly see hope in the world !! “people are only as happy as they want to be.”

I’ve never really known what it was like to be anything other than what I am.
Some days it’s crippling, those days I just lay low. Some days when the label slips off my forehead, I find myself laughing at silly jokes, food has this wonderful taste, colors seem vibrant, and I actually look forward to crossing things off my to do list.

My life has had it’s ups and downs with the full range of emotions. I have chosen to generally be hopeful and happyish. Every time I relapse I get completely wiped out of all belongings, friends, housing, etc. and have to start all over from square one.

i am wiser…and kind…
take care

3 Likes

Underneath it all my life is poorer for lack of interpersonal relationships.

^^^
Same here.Even bipolar people hate me. :neutral_face:

My life is happy and sad when I have an episode", my world gets turned up down. & not sure how many obstacles I have to climb through within myself to be happy & understand life is worth living again :frowning:

What about the guy in your cooking group?

I went through a time where I was full of anger and resentment. Then my life was very sad and rust brown. I’ve been working hard to get better and stronger and functional despite this illness.

Things are going well for right now. I have a roof over my head, I have a job and I have some people in my life who care about me. It’s not all sunshine and amazing, but it’s so much better then it was.

1 Like

Almost universally, I speak only for myself. Today however, I will speak for the millions of lives that have been ruined by mental illness. We are not happy.

4 Likes

It has been both for me. I’ve learned from it. It has shown me that I’m a strong and positive person.

It has put my life on a hard edge. I know I have to live life to the fullest now, because any day could be the day my meds quit working. It has made me really focus on and strive for what I want to do with my life.

For instance I’ve been thinking about going on my brother and sister-in-law’s trip to New York city.

It would be nice to go travel around,I travel very little and only stay on my town most of the year,I should change this and travel,have fun often but also never forget to work

my life has turned upside down. i’m not expected to do anything with my life now, and i’m not sure that i ever will. living on disability without a purpose is tough, but i guess people can do it. some hours take longer to pass by, but that’s fine.

i think normal people can have a much sadder life than me, or happier. i think depression is becoming an epidemic. i hear that all the time. i think people will get more and more depressed as time goes by.