Is recovery possible from sz?

I’ve been in recovery from sz for about 32 years and unbeliever we can recover our lives with meds if necessary and knowledge. What do u think?

Instead of unbeliever I meant I believe.

1 Like

I think we can too.

Therapy, meds, this board, and sobriety has helped me recover a great deal

1 Like

I think so. I believe i am recovered. Medication works wonders for me

2 Likes

the answer is no…what damage has been done is permanent and you will have to suffer and cling to your miserable life until you die…have a wonderful night…

:smiley:

4 Likes

The answer is definitely yes. A lot of people live normal lives with this illness. For others it’s a bit more difficult, but it’s possible nonetheless. Don’t listen to the negative poster above :rolling_eyes:

8 Likes

If you believe you can, you probably can. If you believe you won’t, you most assuredly won’t. Belief is the ignition switch that gets you off the launching pad. Knowledge and insight will keep you airborn. Follow a treatment program and believe, and keep a positive outlook, and things really can only get better.

4 Likes

I don’t know Reggie, I didn’t believe I could recover at first, things sorta happened in that direction.

I believe we can get better, but I don’t think a full recovery is possible. I think once you have schizophrenia for awhile it takes its toll on our thoughts and behaviors which I believe is irreversible. Once you go through psychosis, I believe the damage is done and can’t be fixed.

3 Likes

Me neither @Minnii, first believing that i had sza, and then believing i could recover were two of the most difficult things ive done. I now know better and may not be recovered yet, but i do believe and have made good advancements in the past few years, so i see light now at the end of the tunnel, still a ways to go to get thru it but im not clouded in darkness and now have hope with just the small beam of light shining thru, belief is lighting my path. Just my daily message of hope for the non believers out there!!! Its hard to see at first, but recovery is possible if you believe and work at it.

4 Likes

Yes, if you have support and the right meds. I found the right meds and haven’t had much problems for months now. I almost forget I have sz sometimes.

2 Likes

Been experiencing steadily improving recovery for over two decades. I function well enough that I’m employed full-time, do volunteer work, am active in my community, and can pass for a neurotypical. Meds + therapy + positive attitude + ongoing effort towards recovering.

3 Likes

I aggress upon the idea of recovery. Like dammit I will recover!

I can hold down long hours of pressurized work, I have good social skills, I can make friends, but my intimate life is pretty much fried.

I mean yes, with some people, recovery to the point where most people wouldn’t guess you have the worst psychiatric illness is possible.

Haters gonna hate. Prove naysayers wrong. You will run into people telling you to quit and that you can’t get better. Piss them off, tell them you will, them tell them that you told them so, years later.

I am sorry but I am seeing a very bad side to my psychiatrist.
I told her that I was doing well on a very low dose of Depakote, and that I was no longer cycling.
I am currently taking 500mg of Depakote.

I asked her if this means that I possibly have a milder form of bipolar.
Instead of taking on a more positive stance, she suggests that I raise the dose because it can get worse.
Some positive attitude - yeah right.
I honestly think that many psychiatrists want you to remain “sick” this is good for business.

It’s sad but unfortunately true, although I am sure that some may disagree.

1 Like

I believe that too, wellness is bad for business. Most doctors behave that way.
Maybe someday they’ll behave like a primary care physician who sends you to mammograms and pap smears for prevention of illnesses.

1 Like

Also @NiceHat, psychiatrists, especially mine, likes to prescribe a lot of the newer meds like some of the newer Atypicals.

When they prescribe the newer drugs they please the sales reps that frequently visit the pdoc.

1 Like

@Wave, that is totally true! I had a male friend who was a pharmaceutical sales rep and changed careers, and a sister-in-law who was one (she’s a crowned beauty queen from California). He said to be a Pharma sales rep, successful, you had to be a beauty queen so that the doctors would take time from their busy day to see you.

@mortimermouse not to dampen your enthusiasm for your career aspirations, but I’ve never seen a clinical psychologist in the ER or hospital. Maybe they have need for them in larger metro areas? A psychologist is like a doctor but cannot prescribe any meds is my understanding.

1 Like

It seems to me full recovery…might be possible if caught early…and the right meds and lifestyle changes are made…but I think if sz is allowed to run wild too long…partial recovery would be a blessing…I fall into the second category…the delusions have set in…meds so far have either done nothing or the side effects are terrible…and at best the meds just make me realize how insane I am…

what does ‘recovery’ really mean?

for me recovery has been to expose myself to things that trigger me recalling what my brain ‘told’ me during my psychosis, then check myself to see if my brain gave me the right answer or the answer that it gave me during psychosis.

If I expose myself to these triggers multiple times, they seem to go away and my brain gives me the right answer first.

2 Likes

They don’t usually prescribe meds, no- they do evaluations in emergencies.

1 Like