Is it bad to put pressure on yourself to reach goals?

With this illness I know stress is one of the worst things you can be put through, especially if it’s self-induced.

I want to move out of the city so bad. And go to a college in a nice small town. I have already visited the campus and the town before.

But I wonder if I am putting too much pressure on myself. Like I think I might have too huge of goals. And I have read on here moving can be very stressful.

I am unsure about my future sometimes. I am sorry everyone, I just need some input.

1 Like

I would say yes, but you need to keep your self in check at the same time so research it.

2 Likes

Those of us who are higher functioning only got to that point by pushing ourselves. Your illness is a factor to take into account, but it’s not an impenetrable wall. Pursue your goals, but keep supports in place for you to rely on. Most campuses have counsellors onsite, and look into what resources your college has for people with documented disabilities. I graduated, got a full time job, and got married. You can do all that stuff too.

6 Likes

Also, moving is stressful, but it can also be nice. You get a chance to reinvent yourself in a place where no one knows who you were before. It can be a great opportunity.

3 Likes

Thank you @Ninjastar for the positive encouragement. Take care. :v:

I guess it depends on the person. In my case, the typical stressful things won’t have my symptoms flare up (rather inactivity and isolation do). I pressure myself and encourage others to do so in order to get something done. How do you handle other potential stressors?

2 Likes

I usually give myself reality checks, as I call them. Like I constantly tell myself “Ok, if anyone is spying on me. It truly is the most boring thing they could ever do in life.”

Or I just try to divert my attention to something I enjoy.

2 Likes

Well I can tell college/university was a great experience for me, even more so after the onset than it has been before that. But as said the potential stress doesn’t really have my symptoms flare up. If anything, the other people and the reason or even pressure to engage with them has been a very welcome distraction when I was syymptomatic, but for some of us others trigger symptoms, like thought broadcasting for example. Do you have any specific programme in mind already that youre passionate about?

1 Like

I understand @flybottle I am very passionate about majoring in social work. I want to be a p/t substance abuse counselor.

3 Likes

If you pay money down to go to the college you definitely want to push yourself to do well in your courses. Once you commit to something you need to at least see it through to some kind of closure. That said, maybe you could break your goal up into smaller steps - smaller, more reachable goals that you know you can attain. Choose your battles wisely. Only take on something big if you feel you are up to it.

4 Likes

Being bored all day with no money for things you enjoy is also stressful. I fill my day with positive stress that directs me to positive outcomes.

5 Likes

I think the idea is to have small,incremental goals rather than having massive goals which make you feel discouraged if you fail to achieve them.

5 Likes

Good thinking. That’s why now I am focused on finishing my associate’s degree. Then I will see how I feel once I am done with that.

1 Like

I agree with @Ninjastar. You have to push yourself in order to achieve any recovery and become higher functioning.

If living in a small town and attending college is something you want, something you would enjoy, then you should pursue it. Yes there might be some stress with moving but remind yourself that that stress doesn’t last forever. Once you’re settled in, things could be remarkably better for you.

Look up “SMART goals” for setting achievable goals. Keep a journal and keep up with your support system. You’re already ahead of the pack having this forum as a support.

I say do it. You don’t want to die wondering. If it is something you want, something you dream about, then a little bit of stress is worth it in the end.

5 Likes

I think firemonkey’s suggestion is a very good one.

ALso - be sure to put any setbacks or failures in the proper perspective - they are just learning opportunities. Study closely the “growth mindset” as shown in these videos at this link:

3 Likes

@SzAdmin Thank you. I am not worthy! bowing down like Wayne and Garth in Wayne’s World.

Lol J/k

Thank you again

3 Likes

I moved from Phoenix to the small town of Pauls Valley Oklahoma 3 years ago and there is sooo much less stress getting around a smaller town than in the big cities…I am much happier here than I was in Phoenix.

3 Likes

@jukebox It is interesting you bring that up. When I was in the military I was stationed in a very small southern town. It was probably the most happy I’ve been in my whole life.

Since then I have mostly lived in the city, time for a change.

3 Likes

One thing to think about it how you convey to yourself these goals…

If you think to yourself “I have to do this, if I don’t then I’m a failure” or anything like this - its probably a negative type of pressure.

if on the other hand you’re saying to yourself “I’d really like to do this because it would be interesting and fun, and I’m going to do my best to do it” - then thats probably a positive thing.

Be careful how you push yourself. Recognize that failures and setbacks are normal - and a learning opportnity. We all have them and just need to keep learning and moving forward.

5 Likes

I just moved from a large town to a small town and I love it.

The people here are much better than …well …yknow

2 Likes