Is anyone overly concerned with "luck"

I’m only alive because of dumb luck as far as I’m concerned.

I think I’m lucky in general (apart from having schizophrenia :joy: ). So if something bad happens, I get concerned that my luck is changing for the worse.

5 Likes

no.

when i belonged to this buddhist group they were concerned with luck. chanting brought good luck. i could never believe in it though.

1 Like

Don’t know that I really believe in luck. I believe in chance occurrences but don’t really believe it’s related to some ability a person has to be “lucky”. I believe in cause and effect. Even events that “seem” random or related to luck have some cause. If you roll a dice on a table the way it hits and bounces off table is not truly random but a result of physics. Even though it may be unpredictable for a human, it has a cause and effect.

3 Likes

Sometimes when I think how close I was to total catastrophe and yet nothing bad happened I thank my lucky stars. I don’t intend to push my luck, though.

2 Likes

my voices try to make me scared. over the years that made me fight my fears. plus i learned to appreciate the simplest things. i would probably be alienated otherwise.

2 Likes

There is no such thing as luck whether it be “good luck” or “bad luck”. Only those people who did not study Probability & Statistics in College or University will believe in luck.

Being chosen or being given the chance may be due to randomness or the probability of a certain event to occur. As @Bowens states, cause and effect does occur where Event A may have caused Event B. That’s why statisticians provide a percent number of what the likelihood an event is to occur.

For example, @everhopeful states he is alive because of dumb luck. Well, a person that would view his probability of living to say, 80 years old while living with schizophrenia would probably put it at say 75% chance of that event occurring. Other factors including overall health, physical activity and a healthy diet would contribute to a +/- 5% of 75% meaning a range of 80% to 70%.

3 Likes

Lottery off birth. You’re lucky in what country you were born. I’m from England. I’m incredibly lucky. I believe in luck. I also count my SZA as a blessing.

1 Like

Idk i think luck is just a coincidence…or an unintended good thing…i feel like if one constantly gives and puts out things…it will more often come back at an unexpected and convenient time…hence luck…

Thats just my thinking tho…

1 Like

My pdoc told me luck doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

i believe if i had any luck at all its bad luck
bad stuff always happens

2 Likes

I don’t believe in luck. I feel it could be a form of superstitious thinking. I feel grateful for things and I might sometimes think “that’s lucky”, but really I just mean that I’m grateful.

1 Like

Used to be like that on meds… abilify made me want to gamble, but I know I should not. Gambling is not good, we humans are very bad at estimating chances. The odds stack against gamblers. To see this, just guess a random item from just a 100 items, we probably get it wrong. Well, then pick one in a million or ten million, pretty sure it will always be a losing game.

1 Like

No rabbit’s foot or upside horseshoe can ever give me luck for luck only happens when there is more bad luck keeps us from insane you know what everything is down nothing seems to go our way happens is Leaps and Bounds

2 Likes

One time I was playing Monopoly with my nephew. I owned every property on the board except Boardwalk and Park Place. My nephew skated by all my properties without landing on one about twelve times. I landed on HIS properties every time, and I lost the game. The odds against that happening have to be huge. … Also, I’ve seen news reports on tornados on the internet. One time an F5 tornado hit a town, and all the houses on one side of the street were flattened, and the houses on the other side weren’t touched. … In both cases with my nephew and with the tornado I think there was luck involved.

1 Like

‘luck is when preparation meets opportunity’

2 Likes

I believe we create our own luck…but then again probablity is a factor in all things yes.

1 Like

I have what’s been referenced by my grandmother as “The devils luck”. She used to tell me the spirits liked me.

It’s not always good, not always bad, but always extraordinary in scope.

I’ve been very blessed to have survived horrible situations by pure dumb luck. I’ve also hard critical failures at vital times.

I can only expect my luck to surprise me, Trust in her embrace, and roll.

It’s gotten me this far.

1 Like

Don’t believe in Luck, Hope, Wish.

Invested so much into these words - they offered no relief.

1 Like

I have to make my own luck.

1 Like

i must disagree. i lived almost 40 years without knowing what i was doing or why, nevertheless, i was always lucky to the point i cant deny it. so many things could have gone wrong. understand i was lost. still nothing bad ever happened. once i was on a road and there came up 2 ways, i took the left one, and got on a one way track, drove on it for about 5 minutes and eventually got on the highway, when i entered the highway, a truck right away entered the only way i was coming from as that was one direction road. one second i took longer on that road and i would be dead.

1 Like