Is anyone else bitter about lack of family support?

yes
take care :alien:

I’m the mother of someone diagnosed with schizophrenia and I deal with feelings of disappointment and bitterness with my husband (my son’s stepdad) who cant deal with the diagnosis.

There is a whole lot of fear and misunderstanding out there. Also a lot of people who think surely this should the the problem of the government or the health system, or anyway someone other than them.

Of course there are also a lot of people who may not have the emotional strength themselves to deal with a lot of the tough stuff that accompanies this illness. There have been plenty of times I have felt pretty emotionally battered after interactions with my son. I will not turn away from my son. Yet I can also understand the severe stress families experience. It is a sorry situation for everybody.

1 Like

When I was first diagnosed, I was met with a lot of skepticism from my father and then-step-mother. It wasn’t until I had extensive neuropsych testing and an abnormal MRI that showed I had schizophrenia did my dad and step-mother realize I had a genuine problem. A few of my friends these days know I have sz, but my in-laws are totally kept in the dark. My wife supports me, but I don’t have any blood family left (they’re either all dead or estranged) to support me. My support system is rather small, which is both good and bad. Considering my independent personality, I’m fairly content with very few people knowing I have schizophrenia.

My mom and my sister are very supportive, I’m sure my dad would be too if he was still alive. The rest of my family just doesn’t care and I really don’t care enough to ask them for support. My cousins were supportive at the time I was hospitalized but I’m not sure it was genuine concern or just to look good on the picture.
My uncle was supportive at one point, but he has cancer and it became a “who got it worse” at a certain point and I believe cancer is worse so I just don’t really care. Right now my uncle stole some money from my grandfather and I’m not talking to him, so I don’t really care if the rest of my family is not supportive.

I’m an independent spirit as well, just hope I can cope once my mom is gone.