Is a delusion still a delusion when

You know it’s outlandish but have a stable mindset to explore it?

My thoughts were if you know something is unusual to believe does it still count as a delusion?

Let me know

1 Like

The question is do you believe the unusual belief or not.

2 Likes

Yes I am 99.9% sure

1 Like

Well, this is a tough question.

There are a lot of conspiracy theories floating around, and pretty sane people believe them, so I wouldn’t answer in the affirmative.

1 Like

Maybe they don’t have a mental illness but I would still call them delusional.

1 Like

A delusion is a fixed belief, if you know that it’s not real than it is not a delusion.

It would be delusional if you were certain they were not true. But, there is no way to say, and therein lies the rub.

1 Like

Depends on the science. For example, flat earth society is delusional imo.

1 Like

I just don’t know how this works

Before I was diagnosed I was really obsessive

Am obsessive now but not to the detriment of my life

Just a very strange place to be

1 Like

I hope you feel more stable soon.

I have struggled with some grey areas in the past as well like telepathy.

1 Like

Well, it is interesting that you say that, because science evolves, and some things that are considered true today may not be tomorrow (and vice versa).

However, we know that the earth is not flat. So, to believe that would be not factual, and perhaps, delusional, but there are cases where you are 99 percent sure its true, and 1 percent not. That would be the unusual belief that the OP is referring to, and I guess you wouldn’t necessarily classify them as delusions.

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies

Have deliberately not disclosed the details of the belief to ensure the thread does not get locked

1 Like

I think it’s tricky.
I feel the difference for me a delusion to a new false beliefs that i can reason out. I don’t really know but i still struggle with persistent delusions.

New false beliefs i feel i can reason out of.

1 Like

I am not sure whether I report it or not

Might be psychosis if it is a delusion or just simply a strange belief

My thoughts are whilst it is relatively harmless also have to be careful not to let it overtake my mind as it has done before

The evidence I have relates to altered states

1 Like

The more i fixate on a belief and it impacts my life, i think it might start being something to be concerned.

I think i know what you are experiencing. And do need to be careful.

1 Like

Thanks @Kxev i will try and be careful

1 Like

Don’t want to panic people around me

I also would resent being treated for something I disagree with

1 Like

I’m aware it’s strange that I believe I’m being followed by Navy SEALs. I’m also aware it sounds outrageous.

However, I still truly believe that I have rare circumstances and that it’s true.

Others say it’s a delusion. I’ve seen and talked to the mean, and people still think it’s a delusion

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.