IQ test results

Which test was it?

Never been actually diagnosed as such . When I was 6 my parents were persuaded to take me to Great Ormond street as my first school in Thailand suspected I might have what is now called cerebral palsy. This turned out to be negative and any further exploration of my difficulties was dropped. My prep school headmaster described me to my public school headmaster in 1969/70 as bad at drawing and writing(dysgraphia?) and badly coordinated (dyspraxia?) and my report card at Felsted(public school) said I was disorganised and messy(executive functioning difficulties). I was quite good at arithmetic, average at algebra, but really struggled with geometry and trigonometry.
Nowadays such things would be markers for suggesting an evaluation by an educational psychologist, but back then there was no follow up to those observations.

What first pointed me to NVLD as a possibility, and also lead to the possibility of autistic traits, was searching about discrepancies in performance re verbal vs spatial/non- verbal. As I was curious whether that suggested anything.

Here is a list of things I know about myself

Social interaction problems.

Have difficulty with small talk and initiating conversations.

Only couple of friends in 3D over 60 years

Much better at verbal IQ questions than non-verbal/ visual spatial.

Not good at constructional/manual/practical tasks. Can’t do jigsaws
meant for children.

Started doing well academically but gradual decline starting at 9.5

Had to have handwriting lessons.

Bad at sports especially gymnastics.

Have difficulty when it comes to organising and planning.

Messy and untidy

Poor sense of direction and afraid of going too far in case i get lost.

Not good in crowds as difficulty judging distances and get overwhelmed
by the toing and froing

Poor balance- was nearly 14 before i managed to ride a bike.

According to my stepdaughter- walk like I’m drunk

Poor drawing skills.

Struggle with change.

Assorted mental health issues(general+social anxiety,depression,delusions, mood swings,paranoid thinking)

1 Like

I started a thread on Wrong planet

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=358350

Interesting reply from Ezra.

1 Like

While I have some difficulties with what is measured by the reys complex figure task I do have some strengths in problem solving. Do you have some area where you truly shine?

Just looked that up. I’d have definite difficulties with it.

With regards to problem solving-not really.

Creativity is important, but it’s very difficult to measure with a test.

2 Likes

Well, creativity can be measured in two ways at the moment. Either as a personality dimension in the big five personality traits (Openness to experience) or divergent thinking which is measured by idea production and originality and function of ideas. The real problem with creativity isnt that we dont have any creative people, there are plenty of thouse.The problem is that the world of creativity is so extremely competative that only a few ideas surge to the surface!

If you want to know more about the creativity market look up Jordan Peterson on youtube!

There are a few tests of creative ability available besides divergent thinking. And the openness to experience dimension is a measure of personality, not creative ability. The problem with all of the tests purporting to measure creativity is that the results are very inconsistent over time and across different situations. AFAIK, there aren’t really any useful tests for this purpose.

1 Like

The personality dimension measures a person proclivity to engage, in this case creative action. Openness to experience has two sub components. One is interest in ideas and second, to find creativity interesting. I think that being interested in creativity means you have some creative inclination yourself. Who you are decides what you are interested in.

I find it interesting though that creativity is not a stable trait and I could agree with this, but some people tends to be more creative then others. I remember hearing about creativity as more of a phase then a stable trait. But how come that say Andrew Lloyd Webber has created several successful and famous musicals if he wasnt creative?

1 Like

Yes, but it measures personality traits that are associated with creativity, not actual creative ability. These are just yes/no or rating scale questions. The scores should be correlated with creativity, though.

It may be that creative ability is a somewhat stable construct, but that the tests that we have are just not that good at measuring it.

Well all people who play instruments arent creative and all people who just listens to music arent non creative. But to answer your question about who is or who is not creative I dont think that all people who have a creative inclination gets any props for it. As I said before the creative buisness is a hard one and there arent many people who get recognized for their creative ability. This means that alot of people are creative but not in way that its noticed and that might mean that you wont get recognized for you creative ability. It might also mean that you miss the mark for what is truly creative in an objective manner.

I think that a personality measure should be a better indicator of creative ability since it measure how you prefer to function. The divergent thinking test is more of an on the spot thinking measure and I dont think that because you are creative you are creative all the time.

Explanation of how personality attribute influences your choices!

@zeno There are processing speed training games as part of the BrainHQ cognitive training package.

www.brainhq.com

1 Like

Same story here. the speed deficit is common with szs, I think I read it somewhere.

2 Likes

When I was first given the test, I was very distrustful of my doctor and case worker and so forth. If I felt like they were fibbing about one thing (Which according to them is a fixed, false belief.), they couldn’t be trusted on anything. Although my score wasn’t nearly that high. I think it was 112 overall, which is high enough for someone like me to find it flattering, but not so high as to be unbelievable. I thought it was a clever middle road lie. Verbal iq was skewed, though at 127.

Since going on the right meds (Abilify and some other anxiety and depression meds, Prozac and Clonaezepam(Spelling?)), I’ve since been able to see things more realistically, that people, especially doctors, won’t lie or mislead me.

Although, I had a doctor who flat out told me he would tell lies to me and that I should lie to myself if I thought the lie would have a good end effect. That threw me for a loop for quite a while, but I’ve since gotten a grip on what he was saying.

1 Like

I’ve tried occasionally over the last couple of years . I think I may have paid for a subscription but cancelled it. I basically do the free games.

My brain speed is not good but has improved from baseline.

brain speed brain hq

1 Like

I like to play connect 4 , it’s simpler than chess but lots of fun.

I play lumosity! Fun but costs a little very month

Hi firemonkey here’s one you might like. I’be been doing vigorous freestyle dancing to a youtube dance music mix for 5 minutes daily since before Christmas. I find that since then my muscles are much more responsive and when I now give them the command to move they do so quite willingly, where as before they we pretty reluctant to move.