I'm not sure people die. Is death but a pious myth?

I don’t have a problem accepting my own mortality, it’s my hypothetical immortality (in this life) that I have an issue with. The question could be further refined when we look at our responses to other people’s death.

X died this morning. He was much liked by everyone. As it is customary in these occasions those closest to X express their desbelief: “I can’t believe X is really dead”. What you’ll never hear from anyone, however grief stricken, is “I can’t believe X was really mortal after all”. Exploring the interdependence between our struggles with accepting our mortality on the one hand, and with accepting other people’s actual death on the other, is a question for another day. But I’d like to draw attention to an intriguing possibilty that could arguably provide a link to both experiences: what if our difficulties when grappling with these questions regarding mortality and death were not so much rooted in fear and grief as with cognitive bafflement?

Paraphrasing an old formulation of this problem:
Socrates is dead.
If he is dead, he is no longer Socrates.
Therefore Socrates is not dead.

Logical niceties aside, I have a very real difficulty accepting that I can die. Partly this has to do with my other my part-time, half-hearted unusual beliefs, the idea that the devil needs my spark to keep this simulated universe running. He won’t let me die, not really. And yet, in a very real sense I am dead. Any input will be welcome. And please let’s not turn this into a religious discussion, I’m not discussing the afterlife, only my belief that I won’t be allowed to die in THIS life.

3 Likes

I told you this would happen.

The next step is you testing the theory. And then you’re dead.

Go back on your meds.

1 Like

I don’t fear death but
I strongly believe
that theres no such thing
as death in nature.
Only constant change

2 Likes

If this is the case then making the most out of this life is a must. Why hypothesize about death unless you really want it? If it is not a choice and immortal life is the way it is then it is better to set about life in a way that is enjoyable to you.

Ruminating on death when it is inevitable for all of us is a waste of time. Accept it and enjoy. If it is not then accept and enjoy.

2 Likes

Haha, sorry, but I had to laugh. Your solution to everything is “take your meds”. I’m not suicidal but thanks for the concern. I’ve been on meds, I know what it is like, so please don’t try to shut people up with the “take your meds and everything will become clear” bs.

2 Likes

I enjoy musing about death! Beside is not death that I’m worried about but not being allowed to die.

1 Like

Yet …

It’s only a matter of time before you post a thread about how you’re going to test your theory.

1 Like

How macabre!

Why not something joyous like love, beautiful sunsets that you could see or friends that make you happy?

I think deep down you enjoy flirting with death because there is a deep black abyss that you skirt around. Make your life worth it and love people!

1 Like

Wow, sounds like bad things happen to people who don’t listen to you. Alternatively you might be suffering from a clairvoyance delusion, you might want to consider a dose increase.

1 Like

why are you calling others delusional?

1 Like

I love some people very deeply, that keeps me ‘alive’.

2 Likes

Everyone is crazy.

2 Likes

You’re an off meds schizophrenic who lacks insight into his schizophrenia and alcoholism.

I was like that. I don’t think anything can help you at this point.

2 Likes

Once again thanks for the concern. I enjoy the occasional drink but I’m far from being an alcoholic. I take several alcohol free days a week to be on the safe side. Plenty of people on here exhibit more positive symptoms being on meds than I do without them.

1 Like

I gather everyone believes death is real. Creepy.

1 Like

Well interestingly, I believe others die, not sure about myself… :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like something the grim reaper might say. :grinning:

2 Likes

Rofl…

It is just that I have had a few near death experiences in my life and yet I survived. I favour the quantum immortality theory. They each had a distinct feeling attached to them afterwards.

2 Likes

How far did these experiences go? Did you see a tunnel and all that?

1 Like

No, not at all.

I am of the belief that even though I died to others in the old universe; life continues as before as though it never happened.

I will die, just when my life plan is up and there is nothing I can do to alter it.

Don’t test this out though!

2 Likes