I'm malnourished and finding it hard to come out of that

Badly malnourished. My brain is just starved every day. While in college I began to learn signs of malnourishment in myself since I was responsible for feeding myself for the first time. However I had much more access to different varieties of food there. Now that I am living at home meals have become very confusing. I can make myself breakfast some days, but some days I just don’t have the energy waking up. So I go out to eat but food out is nutritionally deficit. I have had days where my only meals are a slice of cheesecake, some coffee, and a slice or two of pizza.

Living this way is like living in a fog. Sometimes I’ll try to do meal planning but my siblings eat my food before I can or I come home to find my mom already cooked something and it would be rude to cook something else except I don’t like what she cooked. And it sounds spoiled but I am exhaustingly picky. I almost feel like my body is picky and I’m not. If I eat food that doesn’t appeal to me I get nauseous, get headaches, etc.

I’m just watching myself die here. Figuratively, since most of my meals are fast food I tend to get sufficient calorie intake but it’s empty calories. Also since I barely eat anything, I don’t really gain weight either. I guess I don’t have the best appetite to begin with which also makes it hard to get food for myself.

2 Likes

I don’t have the energy to get dressed. I can’t focus on anything. I wanted to do stuff today but I am just zapped. I could sleep all day.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m always fatigued and lethargic.
My diet is not the greatest, but I’m overeating.

My doctors advice is to eat less.

He feels that diet is more important than exercise.

I am going to try hard not to eat as much.

1 Like

I need to start taking a multivitamin. Malnourishment itself inhibits functioning and I don’t really need that on top of everything else I have going on :sweat:

3 Likes

Good idea, it’s a safe solution.
I take a multivitamin.

3 Likes

Try to eat more salad, like 2 cups of veggies a day, one leafy green cup and one cruciferous cup, and one cup of fresh fruit.

There is a diet that is used to put multiple sclerosis in remission that uses 9 cups of veggies a day, but that is very hard to reach. A person would get super healthy on that though, it’s great for the mitochondria.

3 Likes

Yes I absolutely need more vegetables. I’ve been trying to eat more fruit but green veggies have been hard to get.

2 Likes

Always frozen when in doubt

For a couple years when I was on adderall and living alone I wouldn’t be hungry and wouldn’t eat. Like maybe once a day and it’d be McDonald’s. But then when the sz started to develop I just stopped eating for days and stuff and I realize even now how a year of that really affected my brain and stuff. You need to take care of the nutrition thing- just eat an avocado every day or atleast make sure to buy Ensure high protein shakes that has 25% of ur nutritional needs in one shake. My body literally started feeding off itself and I was underweight in the hospital. Lol I’m actually underweight now bc the past 7 months I’ve been obsessed with losing the 70 lbs I gained on invega. Which I did lose it all but I’m 5’10 and only like 135 lbs

1 Like

Yeah it really hugely affects functioning. I really had no idea when I was younger until eventually I started putting two and two together.

Not having the right nutrients makes me feel drained of absolutely all energy even stuff like basic movement takes effort. My brain gets totally foggy and I get super out of it, it basically simulates derealization like I understand how people can have spiritual experiences fasting. It’s awful.

Yea that’s exactly it you eventually feel like your looking thru someone else’s eyes the depersonalization part…

Like some people don’t realize how much it triggers something in our brains. IMO I think it’s partially what caused my sz the not eating bc it’s like my brain started to attack itself or something idk I’ve read some stuff about that…

I had the exact same problem every time I visited my parents some years ago. It would be too confusing and I’d end up just not eating much at all. My mom ended up making sure I ate after this had been going on for a while. I think it just got better by itself when I got better.

2 Likes

I wish that was the case with my mom but she seems oblivious and I think just thinks I’m overly helpless and is trying to “tough love” force me to start cooking, except I’m not not cooking because I don’t know how, I was making myself 3 meals a day when I was living alone over the summer before moving here. I’m not making meals because of what I mentioned above. It’s frustrating.

1 Like

I know it’s hard to explain but please just buy some Ensure high protein online and chug it once or twice a day. You’ll thank me later, it will at the very least stop ur body from feeding on itself for nutrients. It’s hard but just take the ensure or eat an avocado, that way there’s not much prep

The worst is that In the short term u realize ur muscle tone dwindles down, but I regret the most that it ruined my teeth. I looked it up too and not eating for days and weeks makes ur body turn to ur own brain and teeth for the nutrients in it

Do you notice the pattern of behavior is part of your mental illness. However, I think you are making excuses. By now you should be on a good multi and fish oil. What you put in your body is your choice. I almost died from the power I allowed anorexia to have. I’d ask for advice but ignore it…you will know when you are ready to change. I’ve seen too many people die from eating disorders. If you honestly want help. I’ll be on some tmr or see a nutritionist. BUT you have to be willing to change which is a brutal fight. Remember you are mentally ill…so you take meds…you’re malnourished…what do you do…you fill in what you REALLY want! Take care and I hope you choose wisely :hugs:

1 Like

I don’t want to give bad advice by any means. But it seems you should try cutting carbs, or lowering your intake as carbs from what I’m told is what makes us crave sugary foods, or to remain hungry even after we’ve eaten. Exercise is crucial for good health. I mean, I would take what your doctor told you and add in an hour or two of exercise. If you drink coffee, try cutting back. I would start slow and work your way up to eating healthy once again. I’m completely opposite since my last psychosis. It seems all I eat nowadays are fruits and veggies. I still drink my coffee, but in moderation since it seems I’m super sensitive to it(probably my meds). I eat healthy for the most part, and I still feel fatigue everyday. But I feel it’s probably the cognitive stuff causing this, or maybe it could be schizophrenia in general. I’m not real sure, but I can relate on the brain fog

2 Likes

I have found that I feel better when I significantly boost my fiber intake and make smoothies. It’s easy to get a couple of cups of greens blended into a smoothie with fruit and sometimes some ginger or lemon. If you don’t like the taste of greens I consider kale to be a perfect smoothie green because it’s relatively tasteless. If you add some berries or orange juice you don’t even taste it.

1 Like

I started taking a multivitamin and I have really noticed a difference it was just what I needed

1 Like

Multi help but real nutritious food is what you must focus on