I'm an alcoholic and thinking about drinking

I went to a NA meeting at noon and saw my sponsor. I’ve lied in the bed not motivated to do anything today. The arthritis in my knee is bothering me, and I haven’t been sleeping well. I’ve been thinking a drink would make my problems go away. As hard as I try, I can’t get my mind off drinking. Any comments?

3 Likes

How long have you been sober? You don’t want to throw that away. Can you do anything that will take your mind off of it? When i’m struggling with the sza I try to distract myself with music or videos or something. I don’t know if that would help or not. maybe someone else would be more helpful. Hang in there, man. You can do it.

3 Likes

Drinking will only mask your problem, it won’t cure them.
Stay strong.

3 Likes

I’ve been sober over two years. This is unusual for me to be like this now.

4 Likes

That’s really good! Two years is a long time. Just hang in there, man. You can get through this.

2 Likes

Hang in there! Maybe get yourself a non-alcoholic drink, something that tastes nice. Drink that. Or maybe chew some gum, I don’t know if these things will help, but please stay strong. You can do this!

2 Likes

Here’s a good list of online AA meetings. Good way to get some sober vibes when you’re not up to leaving your home. I use a few of them myself.

http://aa-intergroup.org/directory.php

8 Likes

I’m an alchoholic too. I too had the urge to drink about a week ago. I also had my “reasons”.

Don’t drink. All you have to do is make it another 24 hours without drink. Make sure you don’t buy any alchohol. Don’t have any in the house.

Can you get to an AA meeting ?

4 Likes

I’m thinking of you and thinking you can find the mental muscle to deal with this.

2 Likes

Don’t drink booze @anon54988740.
Distract yourself with tv or music.
Don’t do it.

2 Likes

I guess I could go to an AA meeting. I’ll have to look one up. Just had two cups of coffee hoping that will settle me down.

3 Likes

Thanks for all the replies and support.

1 Like

I’m an AA old-timer. Plz feel free to PM me if you need to, okay? Always happy to help another Friend of Bill.

:heart:

5 Likes

Now would be a good time to make use of your sponsor. If your partner isn’t available maybe you can find another friend in the program to help you. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. I’m like you in that I have two years sober, but I often crave alcohol. The craft beer I see on the shelves at Wal Mart drives me crazy.

3 Likes

Yah, for me it was those damn Bailey’s Liquor chocolates they had at work over the Xmas holidays. I loved them back in the day and the smell after someone ate one nearly had me foaming at the mouth. Had to pull the boss aside and point out that this was becoming a threat to my sobriety. Didn’t make me popular when the booze in the freezer and the chocolates were disappeared.

4 Likes

I already talked to my sponsor, sister, and pdoc. That helped a lot at the time I spoke to them. I’m starting to feel better now. Maybe the coffee helped. All the support I’m getting here is definitely helping.

7 Likes

@anon54988740 I haven’t been on much today, but your title worried me. As always great support from sz :+1:. Way to ask for help. I haven’t had a drink since 06. Two years is great. Hold onto that first months blood chip, and remember why you are fighting :hugs:

2 Likes

There’s a good chance that one drink will turn into 3 or 4 or 9 drinks. Maybe a day long binge that will maybe lead you into drinking steadily again There’s a chance this could happen no matter what your intentions are or how strong your willpower is. Just think of your drinking days and all the bad situations and sh*t you must have went through as an alcoholic. Do you really want to open that can of worms and go through it all over again? Because it happens, that’s the way alcoholism works.

Something to think about.

The best action would be to go to a meeting. It would be a safe place and a good environment to be in. You would be among people who are sympathetic to how you’re feeling and can relate to your problems. They say: “The best time go to a meeting is when you don’t feel like it.”

6 Likes

That’s awesome, good on ya!!!

5 Likes

Thanks @shutterbug :hugs:

1 Like