Alcoholic and wanting to drink

I checked my AA app, and I’ve been sober 60 days. I not sure why, but I’m wanting to drink tonight. I talked to Judy who goes to my AA meeting Tuesday morning, but I still want to drink. I got to get through this somehow.

5 Likes

Just see if you can not drink for today. Just get through today without drinking.

6 Likes

That’s an idea. Thanks.

3 Likes

It’s definitely tough to avoid drinking especially after doing it for years and years. One thing that helps me is to find an alternative activity to take your mind off the booze. Like for me it is learning musical instruments.

4 Likes

Continue to be strong @anon54988740
You’ve got this!

3 Likes

Thanks @ThePickinSkunk @Wave

2 Likes

one day at a time. try doing something you like to occupy your mind for a bit.

1 Like

Yes, thanks. I been concentrating on this forum.

2 Likes

Do you have a phone list of members you can call and talk to?

3 Likes

I believe you can do this one day at a time. I was never an alcoholic but I identified with one once. I think I felt just like him although I couldn’t prove it. Anyway, I quit smoking so I do have some experience with addictions. I know you can do it. Many people have.

3 Likes

Just Judy and Steve. I haven’t called him yet.

1 Like

Thanks @shutterbug @PinCushion

You able to attend online meetings? There’s a lot of Zoom meetings that run 24/7.

2 Likes

I’m definitely going to Tuesday’s meeting, even if it’s raining.

I’m not alcoholic but drinking makes me sick the next day usually whenever I crave a drink I try to go for coffee or soda instead that usually helps its an idea anyways

3 Likes

I’ll look into it.

1 Like

True. I’ve had a cup of coffee already. Thanks

1 Like

At your next meeting I would get phone numbers. Lots of people in the program are happy to give out there numbers to help with situations exactly like yours.

Don’t give in to the temptation. Before you make a big mistake by drinking, play it out in your mind first. If you take one drink, you will probably want more. Think of taking that drink and then remorse and regret you will feel. It ain’t worth it. Plus if you get drunk you might do something stupid like doing something illegal or getting into some other kind of trouble.
Just keep in mind, you quit drinking for a reason. Getting drunk might trigger all that negative behavior you used to indulge in as an active alcoholic. Do you really want that?

Call your friends for support. I don’t recall for sure but you may be able to find an alcohol support phone number; kind of like a suicide hotline. There may be some national number you can call to reach a fellow alcoholic to talk to. I’m not sure though.

1 Like

Thanks guys. The urge to drink has passed now. I appreciate the support.

4 Likes

Thanks @77nick77 . There’s a 9pm meeting I can go to. I didn’t drink.

It’s about fifteen to 8pm now.

4 Likes