I'm an alcoholic and thinking about drinking

Dont throw away your sobriety. 2 years is great and i wish i had the stamina and coping skills to quit myself. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m an alcoholic too, TBH, Life sucks without alcohol.

1 Like

I’m an alcoholic too. I used to drink nearly daily always getting very drunk but then my meds. Naltrexone at first stopped me from getting drunk. And since starting Zoloft I don’t drink at all. Naltrexone +SSRI=effective combination I reckon.

Or even just the naltrexone. Or other posters take different ones that work for them.

I know naltrexone isn’t a “cool” drug to most. But it’s cool to me because it’s changed my life for positive.

2 Likes

Think of the rewards you get not drinking.

2 Likes

Next time you feel like having a drink, just think of the reasons why you quit drinking.

3 Likes

Finding the right sponsor can be difficult; I had four different sponsors before I found one that stuck. He was a little bit of a star in my CA home meeting. He had a good recovery, he was a very good speaker, he was well liked. He took me through the steps and gave me his phone # and told me I could call him any time of day or night.

2 Likes

Well I’m sitting here feeling yucky. This is tempting me to want to drink. But it’s Sunday, and there are no alcohol sales in Arkansas on Sundays. Right now I don’t want to drink, but was thinking about it earlier.

1 Like

Do you have any hobbies? Something to distract you. I know easier said than done. World of Warcraft was instrumental for me back then

I was taking Sudafed fairly regularly in the evening before bed. I saw my PCP last week about my nasal congestion, and she didn’t want me taking Sudafed anymore. So I’ve been using Flonase and Claritin as she suggested. I don’t know if stopping the Sudafed is causing me not to sleep well, which is why I feel yucky today.

1 Like

Not really. I hang out on this forum.

1 Like

Quite possible, but focus on the positives because you can always find some :hugs:. And I hate to say it, but coming off of stuff ■■■■■■■ sux. It is what it is. It’s how you approach it to make it easier. I just came off an AP and my body wasn’t happy at all. You can get through this :hugs:

1 Like

My sponsor passed and getting a new one didn’t seem right. My hang up, but I can assure you if I had an “itch” I’d be eating nasty ass waffles with the “old timers”

1 Like

It was suggested to me that when I felt like using, to read some literature or read the “Big Book”. I don’t know about all alcoholics and all addicts but once I had a little clean time under my belt, the obsession and compulsion to use or drink disappeared. That was 29 years ago and it’s never come back. You can try praying. You should have a copy of the Big Book anyways. Can you get out of your house and maybe take a walk? It might help to clear your head and get some space and stop you from thinking too much about alcohol.

Do you go to meetings regularly? I haven’t been to a meeting in awhile but when I was going, I heard over and over to get other members phone numbers. Some members of AA are happy to give you their numbers that you can call anytime for support or even just chat in situations like this.

AA is founded on the principle of, “One alcoholic helping another.” We all need each other.

5 Likes

No alcohol sales in WV Sundays either.

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.