If family is so important to our recovery why do they discourage us from having kids?

Nothing’s stopping you.

I think that it’s a little late.

Maybe wait till after… If you make it through.

But that will be maybe 20-30yrs from now.

In twenty years I would be way too old to propagate.

If you are still around bro.

You haven’t see the news? I believe that you are in LA right?

The race war is about to start.

That’s absurd man. People have more sense then that.

Pretty ■■■■■■ up… Sz has ■■■■■■ me up…

To think I thought that entertaining for a second.

I sense great fear in you young skywalker

1 Like

Yeah watch cnn too much… Maybe I should lay off that stuff for awhile.

I had a daughter when I was twenty-seven, she is the highlight of my life. Although I planned on raising her with her father, things didn’t end up working out that way. So there were times that were very stressful. I found myself when I had episodes relying on family to help me take care of her. When she was twelve I had to take a leave of absence from work for twelve weeks. When she was sixteen I had to take one again. It wasn’t until she was twenty that I was hospitalized, I think I finally gave up trying to hold it all together and collapsed under the pressure of paying tuition of a big ten school and working sixty hours a week.

4 Likes

If family is so important to our recovery why do they discourage us from having kids?

Children need stable parents, both emotionally and financially. When you have Sz, stability in either department doesn’t come easy. I personally didn’t plan to have kids and my wife agreed. One showed up anyhow, but that’s not surprising if you know her. I worry less about her developing Sz than I do my not being a fit parent. I am so thankful I have a neurotypical wife to get my back.

If I had to imagine a worst case scenario, it would be a pair of Szs trying to raise kids. No offence to anyone here in that boat, but what happens when you’re both unstable? Hopefully the kid is old enough to care for itself when that happens (not that kids should EVER be put in that position).

My advice is to not to attempt to raise a family unless you are fairly certain you can provide the much needed stability.

10-96

7 Likes

My girlfriend and I have been talking marriage. She’s neurotypical and we’re not rushing into anything… I would love it if a kid came into our life. But that’s putting the cart before the horse.

I’m at a point in my life where I am working to stay healthy. I’m working on making today as good as yesterday. I’m pretty happy with where I’m at… but I have further to go.

If a child of our own doesn’t come… Well… at least with all the siblings we both have… many nieces and nephews will be in my future. I can be the doting Uncle. (and give them all noisy toys on their birthdays)

5 Likes

We still may make it @Petester. Just a lot has to change which is why people are grim.
I did look into adoption a couple years ado and if I recall I can’t because they discriminate against szs. Apparently being a meal (not speaking of all foster parents) ticket is better for the child.

That’s not what I mean and you know it @SoitGoes. Obviously that’s something you plan for but not impossible.

All I’m saying is you can’t put any child in a glass bubble. All you can do is your best. But I do like the idea of setting up our own communities away from normies. Sounds like paradise.

No it isn’t out of the question @Daimon. We have rights that the Quakers fought hard for us to have. But I don’t recommend having children in some southern states because they recently passed legislation that a doctor has the power to take the children if the parents are demonstrating symptoms that could be useful to the child. I stress “could” because the parent doesn’t actually have to have a history which basically means taking the children just because…

@pixal I just found out I can’t take birth control and smoke at my age because I run a risk of stroke/cardiovascular attack. Obviously I don’t want to smoke when I’m pregnant but that still basically puts me out when it comes to companionship. Nobody waits till they are married anymore. Good news is I found out my meds will not harm the child but now I’m getting push back from having a relationship from the system and family.

Sorry correction @shutterbug not @pixal.

Anyways everybody is crazy. Some of the most normal people are the weirdest. This is eugenics and it wrong. We are all different. People and are NOT our illnesses. Marilyn Monroe’s mother was diagnosed. Can you imagine the world without MM. Her life was hard but somebody did something right even if it was just one of her moms “good” genes.

The only reason I’m apprehensive is because I don’t want to lose my children over a spell. But yes children need food water and shelter but above all they need love. Many sane people provide great for their kids but provide no love. We are not our diagnosis.

1 Like

@Erractica I don’t like thoughs. I know STDs but we can be screened

Plus condom’s are not 100% and are not even up to par with the pill. I would not count on them.

I’ve given up on ever seeing a perfect world. The same could be said for children of sane parents. Look at vets. They are practically children when they go over there but nobody seems to want to make nice. God knows we all spend every waking minute in national monuments.

I will give you that children thrive with stability but in not like I have robber gloves floating around in a dirty bathtub with beer cans and crap. Some of the most influential people in the world had less then perfect childhoods. No pain no gain as they say. This popular widespread belief that everybody should stop having kids is ridiculous. There is not going to be anybody to take care of us when we are old.