If family is so important to our recovery why do they discourage us from having kids?

I say If you want children, you should have some. Normal pdocs will never understand that you need that. don’t pay attention to your pdocs. my ex wife is schizophrenic and she had a son that is doing really well…he’s 32.

2 Likes

The japanese are working on robots to take care of the elderly… maybe itll be a peaceful transition from organic to synthetic life.

Nope cause that crosses most parents mind when they are pregnant or getting pregnant. My great aunt has nobody. Now her health is going down the tubes. I find myself in the position where I could leave my deceased grandmas little sister to fall in her house and die of starvation or I could give her a slice of my life. Its clear that I’m all she’s got really. Of course I’m not going to dump her. But even long conversations about couponing is exhausting. I’m faced with the fact that when I hit 70 I will be at mercy of the government even maybe for mobility.
I worked once as a nurses assistant. I received an elderly lady from one of thoughs state run facilities. The employees there left her for so long in her own feces that she got a spinal infection and died relatively young. Perfect example of somebody alone with no voice and nobody to advocate for her.

People discourage us form having kids because they fear what they don’t understand and they don’t want us to have kids because they don’t want us “Crazies” to pass it on to our offspring. That is why “Normals” piss me off.

1 Like

Similar sentiments. I’m a long way from having a good job and starting a family.

I completely understand what you are saying. And thats certainly your choice but my point is it should stay a choice and certainly not something to be discouraged.
I mean most of us are in the position we are cause the sort of fear mongering. Tell political pressure doesn’t take place in the work for force. The second the normal police smell anything your out. I’m not going to just cease to agsist because somebody does not like me.

No - more like almost 40% probability: (see “Children - both parents schizophrenic” below:

3 Likes

Pretty powerful graphic.

What if you have schizophrenia and it goes away? (Something we all dream about)

Wow. Emotional topic.

@anon59133895 I don’t hate normies, they’re people too. Many here would not have a very good existence were it not for normies out there working and paying the taxes needed to provide benefits and health care to many of us. I’m also married to one and she is nothing but awesome.

In our own case, the kid wasn’t planned and we were thinking adoption. We just turned out to be more fertile than we were led to believe. Sure, we worry about her getting Sz. We were even more worried about diabetes, but luckily most of the risk for the juvenile form has passed. There is a lot of cancer on my wife’s side of the family so there’s always that in the back of our minds as well. There are no guarantees for parents Sz or no.

@lagoonlovely My mother was pretty far along the autism spectrum (high functioning in some senses). Very smart, but few social and parenting skills. Also liked to date violent perverts which didn’t work out so well for me as a kid. While I’m grateful to exist, logically speaking, my mom had no business being a mom. She truly sucked at it and there’s not a day where I don’t have to squish down crap that roars somewhere out of a dark recess in my head thanks to that baggage. My parenting approach with my own daughter is basically to ask myself what my mom would do and then turn it around 180 degrees. Has worked for thirteen years now. Growing up poor and abused sucked harsh.

For me the bottom line is: Can you provide stability and security for a child? Then perhaps consider it, just be mindful that those of us with Sz are more likely to have offspring that suffer from the same. Also good to make sure that one of you doesn’t suffer from this condition as two parents relapsing at the same time will not end well.

My 2 cents.

10-96

Edit: I should add that I had a couple of great aunts and uncles who were quietly admitted to have Sz. All kinds of mental illness is prevalent on my maternal grandfather’s side of the family. It definitely does travel down through generations, skipping some and slapping others sideways.

5 Likes

You know - that graphic is just averages. Like the average price of a home in the USA is something like $200,000. That doesn’t necessarily mean anything to you - for example you could live in New York, where its hard to find anything in the way of a small condo for less than $1 million.

Similarly - if you’re high functioning, schizophrenia under control and have a low stress job as a janitor and the female is similarly low stressed and takes all the right vitamins for pregnancy starting well before pregnancy (like starting 6 months before she starts planning to become pregnant) - then the risk of schizophrenia for the child is, I’m told by the researchers, much lower than average.

Full details here: Preventing Schizophrenia and Lowering Risks - Schizophrenia.com

4 Likes

I understand the responsibility but I am not going to discriminate against my spouse based on genetics. Not saying you either. For me though I can rely on somebody for support who doesn’t understand what I go through everyday. But anyway this is speculation still. I’m still single and may end up staying that way. That was the apostle Paul’s calling. But my faith leads me to believe I may have a different outcome based on my circumstances and I think that’s ok too.

A person’s genetics have an influence on every aspect of their nature, so unless you’d have a kid with literally anyone then you are going to

1 Like

I always say, thank God I didn’t get on meds until I was like 27 or 28, because I had my two kids, and finished my college degree. But everyone in the biz says, Oh, you could have avoided your hard fall if you had gotten on meds early. Really? Would I have accomplished anything that I am totally proud of?

1 Like

I have kids. But I was diagnosed after I had children. I would say according to research today. You can look at information on personal stories of people who have children after being diagnosed with schizophrenia. These stories are successful stories of recovery schizophrenia with children. It’s definitely crucial to be healthy, family support, be in recovery and talk with your doctors. Your a human being with rights. The more you are healthy and functional the better you will feel and decide if it’s right for you.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how I feel. Even if we are the mutant ninja turtles were still flipping ninjas!

I had a child at the age of 20 without realizing I was sz. I didn’t have an inkling until I was 23 years old or so. That’s when the symptoms hit me. In the meantime, I married a man who I now strongly suspect was schizophrenic himself. But, back then, I didn’t know what was wrong with him. If he knew, he wasn’t telling me. He was keeping it carefully hidden. If both parents have schizophrenia, the child has a 40% chance of developing it. My child unfortunately was within that 40% and grew up to develop a very severe case of paranoid schizophrenia from which he died. Throughout my child’s life growing up, I was sick with the illness, so, I could not tolerate the everyday stresses of raising first a newborn, and then a toddler, and then dealing with the stresses of finding babysitting arrangements while I worked after my divorce. Normal stress was all extremely high stress for me, and the stress exacerbated my illness to the point where I had to send my son to another state to live with my sister for several years in order to cope. And I could not handle the stress of being without my son either, So, I was in and out of the hospital like a revolving door, literally, for years, while he was out of state. When he came home, the stress of raising him got to me so bad that I was at the point of actually using corporal punishment on my son when he did anything wrong, and I always swore I would never do that. I was so sick that a lot of times, I did not have the motivation or will to cook or clean house or do anything, so, my son, from a young age had to learn to eat dry Top Ramen noodles. (Mom didn’t have the motivation to shop for groceries either. Mom would just lie in bed all day). Can you picture the nightmarish scenario? This was my son’s life. This was my life. For years and years. Do you really want it?

3 Likes

Let me ask you this. Was he worth it?

1 Like

If I were to answer that from a spiritual standpoint, I would say yes, because I know I am going to be with him in heaven someday and he is going to be all well. And only when we meet again in heaven will it finally be all worth it. And, I wrote a song for him called: “When We Meet In Heaven”.

1 Like