I wonder if I'd gotten help sooner would I be better than I currently am

If I had been diagnosed early and put on abilify before I became psychotic would I be better off?

Is there anyone here who didn’t have a massive psychotic break with reality? How are you doing?

2 Likes

No matter in what way you got treated you would still think what if it happened like that and not like this … It’s the way of the mind.

Better late than never.

3 Likes

Yes, I think you’re right actually.

1 Like

What ifs are just mental simulations of what isn’t. I think you’re fully aware of why this is a pointless thought experiment.

1 Like

I went 7 years before starting meds. While functioning in a high stress job for 4 of those years.

2 Likes

I complained to my doctor about needing hospitalization and he said no, I was fine. 2 years later I was psychotic really bad. Then, he listened to me. I often wonder how it would have been if he had taken me in at the time. I would have been too young to refuse shock treatments which I wouldn’t have wanted. So that is a good reason for the delay.

2 Likes

It would have avoided my 2 suicide attempts.

1 Like

To answer the question, no the outcome won’t change regardless of when treatment is started.

1 Like

I have read earlier treatment can help make treatment easier but, it is not an absolute. There are various other factors too, that the treatment outcome depends on.

For example with me, I was unmedicated for about 10 months, before I was medicated.

And right now I’m doing OK-ish on a low dose.

So there’s no absolute.

Having said that, when I come off medication I relapsed.

So, it’s hard to tell what I should have done differently, impossible to tell, actually.

Alls I know is I can try to reduce my risk of bad symptoms by listening to what my pdoc says and journals.

2 Likes

no not really most kids that get help early didn’t that i meet and when we talk early were on the time line of systoms were you. before you got help to makes a difference too.

1 Like

i wonder that sometimes too… if they intervined earlier if i would be better now… but dwelling on the past is prob not gonna help huh so better to look at the present and near future i gues…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.