I think I need to get back on disability

I was on it 7 years ago, But I managed to get off and support myself for 7 years in Asia because I could live very cheaply and work teaching English. Now that I’m back in America I’m living with my parents and see there is no way I could work full time to support myself. It’s damn expensive here. What are my chances of being able to get disability again with a diagnosis of schizophrenia?

1 Like

I hear it is difficult to get back on disability.

Why is that? 151515

I guess because you have shown that you can work and they don’t want to through around money.

1 Like

Well I guess I’ll just end up homeless on the streets… Welcome to America.

I think you should at least try to get on disability payments again. No harm in trying, right? Schizophrenics have a good chance of getting disability benefits, I think.

2 Likes

Yes its great. No one ever said life was fair. You should try though.

Just try and if you fail, get a lawyer.

3 Likes

Not sure about the US. But here in Uk - as soon as it was confirmed i was Sz via evidence, i automatically qualified with no medical. Assuming its the same over there??

1 Like

I hope so… But US is ■■■■■■ up so who knows

What did you show as evidence that you have SZ?

It wasn’t the same over here when I applied for disability. Even after a government appointed psychologist confirmed to them that I had paranoid schizophrenia, it still took them about a year to award me disability.

By that time, I had already been through vocational rehabilitation and gotten a full time job, so I paid the disability back. I didn’t want to wait for years, wondering if I would end up homeless.

2 Likes

@VanDam

I simply posted them copies of my clinic letters showing my diagnosis via registered post to the DWP. And when they tried to get me to attend a medical - I asked them to phone my Social Worker who confirmed it over the phone. Then a month later they said i was “placed in the support group” and didnt need to attend. Maybe i was just lucky? I dunno. But i do know that if you have confirmed Sz - there criterea treats it as a severe illness and theyve left me alone ever since.

1 Like

It sounds like you were quite lucky. Or maybe the UK just has a much more compassionate system than the US.

3 Likes

I think it’s difficult. Maybe you can tell you are getting worse and that you have more symptoms and because of this you think you are not able to work. You could try it. But I don’t know if that will work.

1 Like

It’s the truth I have gotten worse… That and the cost of living in America.

I think you should get a report from your psychiatrist telling you are getting worse. That’s what we do here in Spain.

Thanks. Are you on disability? Is it enough to live on in Spain?

Yes. I’m on disability. Here in Spain we need to be examinated by diferent doctors to get the disability. It’s called “tribunal médico”. And then they decide if they assign the disability or not.

2 Likes

I have SZA. Also U.K.resident and had no problem getting ESA for my condition and they leave me alone.