I think I am being lied to

You are not misdiagnosed, that is just a working diagnosis, not a final one. Happened to me as well for years on end back in Ro, until my husband decided to sign a form requesting a final diagnosis, saying that he feared I could he a danger to myself or others (he had to, I was final term with our first born and very very manic, not having slept for days, so a C-section needed to be done asap).

In Romanian, you will call that “Diagnostic Prezumptiv” or “Diagnostic Descriptiv”, I am not sure which one of those, I will look that up. It’s like saying that a man who comes to you with a broken bone has " severe pain in his arm" (symptomatic diagnosis) instead of saying “broken [so-and-so] bone in left arm”.

What you need to do is pressure your pdoc to give you a final diagnosis. A psychotic disorder can be anything from sz to bipolar. But tbh, it’s very hard to get in Ro, they need to organise a commission of doctors for it, and, since that is expensive, they only do it if someone signs a form stating that you are a danger to yourself or others, while you are hospitalized, or you somehow sign it yourself. The reason for that being, with a final diagnosis you can declare yourself incapacitated and get a state pension which will allow you to only work part-time and get extra money from the state. They don’t want that, of course, if you are fit for work.

Downside to it is, you get no extra treatment or help, you just get medicated for psychosis and, as it happened to me, you might even be put off meds by some cretin who thinks that you are in " remission" aka. you are cured from psychosis just because you do well on meds.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was talking about. With that working diagnosis you are wasting time of your life trying to get off meds instead of focusing on living a fulfilling life. I did that for 10 out of the 14 years I have had the illness, only to my detriment and because I was being misguided by lazy and corrupt doctors into thinking my “psychotic illness” was curable somehow. I would not be as poor and disoriented as I am by the age of 33 if they didn’t constantly promise me to get me off my meds, making that the most important thing, instead of the recovery my meds actually made possible.

Please don’t be like me. Try to get a real DX while you’re at it, and live a happy and fulfilling life, without the symptoms.

Take care.

1 Like

So you’re saying this is just a temporary diagnostic. ■■■■ those lazy doctors I can work with any diagnosis, but they feed me hope for a better future and that sucks

1 Like

Hope is good. Just focus on your life instead of getting off meds. If the meds relieve your symptoms,you’re on a good track, it took me years on end to find something that didn’t give me debilitating side effects.

I am in UK now and I still fight for a final diagnosis, so it’s not a Romanian thing. Difference being, the working DX here is a specific one, Bipolar I, and it actually explains a lot of the things I do, even medicated, as opposed to the sz diagnosis I got in Romania the night I told you about, before my C-section.

I think it’s just that sz is very popular as a diagnostic back home when psychosis is involved even episodically, whereas here they actually take clinical data into account and provide the DX based on evidence.

1 Like

How old are you, BTW?

Probably I will be dz as sz or bipolar. I am 21

I forgot about one factor: there’s an epidemic of THC-induced psychosis in Romania, especially for young people, also other drugs. They might apply this diagnosis just to make sure that it’s not drug-induced psychosis, in which case I see why they would say you can go off meds in time.

My bad for forgetting to mention this fact.

1 Like

It was drug induce psychosis. I have that as my second dz. But it was 2 years ago

1 Like

This means that I have a good dz @anon33673328?

1 Like

It means it makes sense, if it was drug induced to wait, and see. You never know, the illness might simply have been activated by the drug, or there might not have been any illness to begin with, just the drug-induced psychosis. It’s too recent for them to tell, and that’s why you have a working diagnosis only and the promise they will try and get you off meds at some point to see if the symptoms come back. If they come back, the illness was just triggered by the drugs, not caused. If they don’t, it means you were just making bad life decisions, not mentally ill.

I might have overgeneralized my own case, which was by no means drug induced, and thought it was the same with you.

Deeply sorry about that.

2 Likes

All you can do is avoid getting off meds unsupervised. If the symptoms reappear, they can intervene very quickly, and give you the correct diagnosis, so it has to be supervised, when you have recovered from the first few psychotic episodes you had.

Keep up with the meds, I’d say, wait, see. Also, don’t think too much about it and go on with your life, as this is the best time to build a successful and fulfilling adulthood.

Thank you. You’ve been very helpful to me :cookie:

1 Like

How long do you think a drug induce psychosis usually last? I don’t have symptoms for 3-4 months now since I started risperdal. I tried after one year of meds to quit them whitout med supervise and end up hospitalized again.

It depends on how far away you stay from drugs and on other life choices that can improve your well-being. To put it bluntly, it lasts for as long as it lasts, when you are ready to test going off meds they will know.

I remember having heard my pdoc say that, by the book, after a psychotic episode that is not caused by a long-term illness like something on the sz spectrum or bipolar , they will wait at least 3 years until they feel it’s safe to call it fully remitted and try reducing and finally removing the medication. But that may vary, and they didn’t follow the book in my case because stuff happened (I was pregnant, and they preferred to risk my life than have the foetus influenced by the medication, which I sort of agreed to, tbh).

So, yeah, expect at least three years after your last hospitalisation, if you’re a good fellah and take care of yourself well.

Have you tried any form of psychotherapy? Might help you understand what you are going through better and improve the things that led you to knock yourself numb so young in the first place. In Cluj there’s the best school of CBT, I’ll give you the name and number of the guy who does the whole thing if you are interested. They are public anyway, so don’t worry about it.

I say CBT because that’s what works best for psychosis.

1 Like

I am from Arad, I was only hospitalized in Cluj because I had a breakdown when I was at my grandparents which live in Cluj.
I do talk therapy which dosent help me so much.
September will mark one year since the last hospitalization I had. I am 21 now I think I will try going off meds at age 25.
What does CBT means?

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. It’s one of the goal-oriented therapies, you have to set your goals and follow instructions to achieve them, through cognitive inputs that will model your behaviour. It’s clinically proved to have effect in things like depression, schizophrenia and other psychotic desorders etc.

You might find a CBT trained practitioner in Arad too, as it’s close to Cluj and former students might have migrated there. The guy who brought CBT over to Romania is called Viorel Lupu. I called him once to see if there’s anybody trained for it in Brasov and he explained how the psychologists’ college worked at the time. I see the college has been suspended this year, though, good riddance, they were a bunch of incompetent and corrupted fools.

If you’re interested, I can look up to see if there is anyone trained for it in Arad as well. I am sure there has to be someone, but without the copsi website up and running, I will have to dig a bit for it.

Are you also from Romania? What does your nickname means?

Nothing, I had a dog called Zupi, so I chose the name Zupa 4 years ago, so it stuck with me.

2 Likes

I only go to therapist who work with the house of assurance. I don’t have money to go anywhere else, thank you very much, maybe in the future I will do CBT therapy I bet the guys who do this kind of therapy don’t work with the house of assurance.

I am currently thinking of changing my therapist and my pdoc because one dosent help me and the other dosent give a single ■■■■, it should be nice to see my pdoc give at least half of ■■■■

CBT is supported by the NHS here, don’t know about To though. Ask your doctor about it, they will know.

Sorry to hear you don’t trust your pdoc, but you will also have to understand that very good pdocs, that know what they are doing and explain stuff to you and all, have already left the country or are too old and tired to engage in long-term evaluations.

Also, this is public health, the quality of service will always be commensurate with the amount of money you pay (aka, in your case, the state pays, and very little). That is valid for any country, not only Romania, it’s just that in Romania the doctors are also corrupt on top of that, they prefer to be bribed in the system instead of going private like they do it elsewhere, and they give poor service nonetheless, because that’s all they can do (if they were good professionals, they would have emigrated long ago is the rule of thumb). Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, and I hope you stumble upon one, but they are rare.

Try to make do with what you have and avoid depending on them too much is the key: take your medication regularly since you find the right one so soon, and avoid the trigger, in your case the whacky substances.