I fooled the doctors

into thinking I have bipolar. Not schizophrenia. This is what I believe sometimes :confused:

2 Likes

Well I hope you get better :smile:

@anon80629714 it is very common to question stuff regarding diagnosis. Thing to remember the dx is just a word. Itā€™s the treatment that counts.

2 Likes

Maybe your dx has changed thatā€™s all.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure you really have anything, @anon80629714. Your last and only psychosis was over a decade ago? Maybe it was just a ā€˜one offā€™ all those years back.

Have you discussed with your doctor that perhaps you actually have no condition to worry about? Maybe just some mild anxiety. Iā€™m not encouraging you to go off of meds if you are on them, but it is possible you just had a one-time occurrence and you are normal now. Mention this to your Doctor maybe?

2 Likes

They just switched me from schizophrenia to schizoaffective. Their reason was because I have recovered too much to have schizophrenia. I personally find that a bit offensive. How is anyone expected to believe they can recover from schizophrenia if, every time someone recovers, they change their diagnosis?

8 Likes

I guess schizoaffective is just a degree of schizophrenia. Iā€™m still not sure what I have. Iā€™ve never hallucinated or heard voices. But when Iā€™m off of my meds I yell at the Fruit Truck driverā€¦thinking heā€™s making fun of meā€¦and tons more crazy stuff

1 Like

9 years. Every time Iā€™ve tried going off the antipsychotic itā€™s been a disaster. I get very moodyā€¦ Anxiousā€¦ so Iā€™ve had to go back onā€¦

over Christmas I got pretty low and found it hard to even leave the house (I did work but it was hard!!). I might bring it up the possbility itā€™s depression but obviously I donā€™t know.

2 Likes

IMO changes in diagnosis should be based on how your symptoms are at the point of being seen by the pdoc compared to what they were at your previous appointment .

Okay @anon80629714,

I was just concerned you are on powerful antipsychotics, when maybe you have a different condition going on like anxiety or stress.

1 Like

No it could be. You might be right. Everytime I came of antipsychotics I went back on because of feeling really anxious and restless and down at the same time. Never has the psychosis returned during those times.

1 Like

Maybe youā€™re cutting down your meds much to fast

1 Like

I was on 5mg of abilify at the time of reducing :flushed:

Letā€™s all stop giving @anon80629714 medical advice and trust that her doctor has this taken care of.

1 Like

Sounds pretty typical for going off an ap. Didnā€™t your dr tell you to expect those symptoms or did you read online?

The same thing happened to me. Then they switched it to ASD/Aspergerā€™s. Now, my current psychiatrist wonā€™t even give me a diagnosis, and just says I need my 1 mg of Haldol. And to pay them every few months for medication management, of course.

2 Likes

ā€œHmmā€¦ This scizophrenic is recovering well with the right treatment for schizophreniaā€¦ Must not be schizophrenia then! Must be schizoaffectiveā€¦ā€ That doesnā€™t even make sense. Like thatā€™s not how sza is diagnosed. Which type did they say you had? Do you even have any significant mood symptoms?

2 Likes

Bipolar type. I get hypomania, but not depression. And the hypomania only lasts about five hours, and the criteria for bipolar says it needs to be at least three days.

1 Like

Itā€™s ok @Ninjastar Iā€™m not going to quit meds unless the doc says. Still I want to talk to the doc again about the possibility of it being a one off. If she says itā€™s defo a mental illness Iā€™ll stay on unless I need to.

1 Like

I got scares they were symptoms of the illness so asked them to put me back on.