I must look for the 5th psychiatrist

How many psychiatrists have you changed?

I’m thinking about my first psychiatrist.
She was good but couldn’t handle me.
Now that I am stable, she may be capable

I’ll be your Psychiatrist for free.

You aren’t the center of the Universe. You aren’t in a Matrix or Simulator. You aren’t a spectacle in a giant orchestrated play.

You’re just a regular guy with an affliction which leads you to believe these things.

There you go…no charge! :wink:

3 Likes

Haha thanks

1 Like

Three, they were happy and carefree and loving life until they heard my problems. Now they’re traumatized and depressed.

1 Like

I often think I’m extremely important despite the obvious too. I think we share a lot of similarities in our affliction and delusions.

1 Like

I had 4 outpatient psychiatrists and 3 inpatient psychiatrists.

1 Like

I’m on my 4th in 4 years. i always get diagnosed with something new and get put on more meds.

1 Like

I’ve had two regular pdoc. When I was in my hospital stays I had 4 or 5 different ones. My current pdoc is so awesome! I’m very thankful.

1 Like

Because he finally caved and now he likes sugarless Trident gum?

Well if I count all the psychiatrists I’ve had, I’ve had 5 total (in 13 years). There was only one that I didn’t think was very good at his job. He always asked me if I heard voices, if I was well, if was unwell, if I was somewhere in the middle - he would ask me. And I have never heard voices even when I’ve been unwell, so it was very frustrating. Kind of like asking someone if they have hand pain when they’ve had a foot injury - just an irrelevant question. To me it was quite dehumanising I felt like he was just judging me as a statistic and not as an actual person/patient.

1 Like

My worst psychiatrist told me that I make false connections in my brain, like bad neurons connections and delusions. I felt offended.

ive been in therapy for 22 years…my first pdoc was for 4 yrs, then i had one for 5 yrs and then i had one for2 yrs and then one for 3 yrs and then my current one for the past 2yrs and counting…in between those pdocs ive seen a few but not for too long

3 psychiatrists outpatient and 6 inpatient (in 9 years).

My psychiatrists have had one job - prescribe my meds. I don’t know how many I’ve had and I don’t care. The nurses, psychologists and various other health professionals are the ones I remember and am grateful for.

But I do think I’ve had much more than 5.

2 Likes

How come nurses and psychologists helped you more? Me it was my psychiatrist who first knew what was wrong with me and fixed my positive symptoms with meds. Psychologists and nurses would have never been able to do that.

I don’t know, maybe it’s a country-by-country thing, but psychiatrists here are not good at diagnosing, or at therapy. They study somatic medicine in school and then they do their specialization, which is mostly working, in psychiatry. So they are mostly used for prescribing meds and for excluding somatic causes. Usually, nurses, psychologists and a few other professionals do the therapy, and psychologists do the major part of the diagnostic stuff. So really the contact I’ve had with psychiatrists has been limited to short conversations about meds, short conversations about somatic complaints, screening for somatic problems, and referrals to somatic tests.

Also, it seems to me that the diagnostic and treatment processes when it comes to sz are a lot more extensive here than in the US. Most of my treatment was conversations and practical help. Meds were a small but very necessary part of my treatment.

1 Like

Yea meds are the most important and effective treatment for schizophrenia. Here in Canada my apt with my psychiatrist only lasts 5 min but it lasted much longer at the beginning of my sz. I think its because I got better, at first my psychiatrist was trying to stop me from doing suicide and to make me accept meds. I even went to court to get out of mental hospital without meds, my psychiatrist said in court that refusing meds and treatment are part of the schizophrenia illness.

1 Like

How long and often were they?

I think every 1-2 weeks and lasted up to 30 min.
That was right after I went out of mental hospital. I stayed 4-6 months inpatient because my psychiatrist said so in court to extend my hospital stay and I accepted, he said its for my own good.

1 Like