I’m not allowed to say I’m hurt

I didn’t fix some sprinklers I didn’t know about without her ever bringing it up.

Stood up for myself verbally when I felt gaslight.

She screamed at me that I’m a “psycho”

“I’m tired of her telling me “you’re too sensitive” my feelings never feel valid.

Any HINT at criticism, and she start shouting, getting angery, and name calling.

She refuses any form of therapy. I’ve done 10 years as of this October, I’ve done all I can, she refuses to take step one.

Words from mothers hurt……stress is flairing up symptoms.

That one’s gonna leave a scar…

4 Likes

Sorry @Ooorgle hope things get better.

1 Like

I knew someone like that, and it turned out they had depression. I don’t know if that’s the case with your mother, but it might be.

If she refuses to take “step one”, then that’s rough. It just makes you feel trapped.

Is it possible to talk to her when everything is calm?

• Angry outbursts, irritability or frustration, even over small matters
1 Like

Oh my yes. She was diagnosed with forms of depression over 15 years ago. After my aunts tragic death.

She takes 37.5 mg Effexor and claims it fixes her. Even though that’s below standard depression dose. Doctor is fine with it. She’s never once attempted therapy.

I’ve literally been broken down with her screaming at me, on my knee’s sobbing asking her to go find some help with me. Nothing. She refuses anything other than her “right”.

I’ve had multiple therapists have brought up the idea’s of “emotionally immaturity in parents” “gaslighting” all things I’ve talked to her about, she just blows up.

2 Likes

My sister is like your mom. Explodes all the time and is always right.

Everyone is just too stupid to understand.

Some people are really hard to deal with.

I would take some healthy distance. That’s the only way you’re going to get better.

1 Like

Yup, I’m in my house, she’s at hers. Leaving everything alone.

Friggin hurt being called a psycho.

2 Likes

Hiya @Ooorgle :wave:

Just wanna say I relate to what you’re going through with your mom.

It’s difficult when the roles are reversed and we sometimes have to parent a parent.

Like your mom, mine is also on medication— she takes 100mg of Zoloft, and has done so for like, 15 years now. Not really sure if it helps her, though.

I’ve tried countless times to reason with my mom, letting her know that just because I’m her child it does not give her a valid reason to throw common courtesy out the window when speaking to me.

She has flat-out said that “this is how I talk, it’s how I am, and I’m not going to change.”

I love my mom, so I put up with her off-putting behavior, but it hurts. A lot.

I hope you are able to find some sort of peace, build an emotional boundary— anything that may help you feel better while also nurturing your relationship with your mom.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your mom.

I’ve had problems with my mom too. She hit me in the face with a towel when I was a kid and said I was disobedient and a brat even though I wasn’t a brat and I don’t remember being disobedient. I had to block her last year because she was bugging me all day every day then she started threatening my dad and stepmom and harassing my stepmom’s family and friends on Facebook. I hope she stopped.

2 Likes

I don’t think therapy would help. It’s probably a meds issue. She needs to change anti-depressant in my opinion. But I’m not a doctor.

Depression ruins families.

Mental illness sucks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.