I get irritable if I miss a dose

Is it the psychosis making me irritable or mania ?

I’ve missed dozens of doses over the last 17 years, never had a problem. But I’ve never missed 2 doses in a row.

The meds I’ve been on have longer half-lives so even if I miss a day there is still quite a bit of medication in my system to tie me over until the next dose, that is probably why I never had a problem, that’s my guess anyways.

2 Likes

For me its the psychosis. I get irritable on low dose meds, my diagnosis is sz.

1 Like

I’m on Abilify and I used to miss doses here and there but this time after my last psychosis I seem to get irritable every time I skip a dose. Don’t get psychosis just irritability.

1 Like

I thought so. I’ll keep an Eye on it don’t want it to go full blown psychosis.

1 Like

It doesn’t for me on low dose meds but the irritability gets me in trouble sometimes so I increased my risperdal from 3 to 6mg. Now its very rare that I am irritable.

1 Like

When I was on Olanzapine I would miss doses and be fine but it has a half life of up to 40 hours so even after a day, roughly half is still in your system. And since I was on a high 40mg dose there was still quite a bit in my system.

Now that I am on Lurasidone I take it twice a day, once with breakfast and once with dinner. I occasionally miss my morning dose, but then I take my dinner dose, I have been fine on those days.It has a shorter half life but I’ve never missed both doses in a single day.

The only med I run into problems with if I miss it is my clonazepam. I can’t sleep without it. About a month ago I accidentally took 3 crestor pills instead of 3 clonazepam pills and didn’t sleep at all. I wasn’t paying attention and they are both the same shape, size and colour so it was a stupid mistake.

1 Like

if you’re experiencing true full-blown psychosis, get to the hospital immediately!
it’s a combination of voices, crippling, and delusions, lack of insight, and no ability to function.

1 Like

I’ve had psychosis twice. This isn’t psychosis. Psychosis makes me so out of it I don’t know who I am , who my friends are and I feel totally disconnected. If I was psychotic I might not be able to tell , but my family would tell me.

Unless it’s early stages I dunno

ish, did you get a proper diagnosis when you went to hospital last time ?
As many people who have bipolar just have a list of symptoms on their medical record in the UK.

1 Like

No a new pdoc I saw said I have a mood disorder. I’m seeing him again next month. I bet that’s gonna change to sz. I don’t have a clue because mood disorder isn’t a proper dx.

Since I become my own psychiatrist, I lost all of my PIP disability money, even though I still have negative symptoms and health problems.

1 Like

You mean you got discharged back to your gp? It’s tough to get pip I tried 4 times and 4th time lucky.

Can your gp not support your application

Yes, I am no longer under the care of the mental health team.

1 Like

The GP surgery in Beccles only have a few doctors, and the local hospitals are very busy. And the Government have not got enough money to give everyone who needs help. There are 14 million people in the UK living in poverty.

1 Like

I’m really sorry @Simonw … can I suggest you apply but then to also message your local mp to say you’ve been struggling and need the support that’s how my application went through

Anyway, regarding your question, I always find that I need to take my medication regularly to avoid problems. Are you on anything else than Abilify.

1 Like

I stopped taking Abilify for a week and already made so many impulsive reckless decisions. I think it is helping me overall to think more rationally and slow down–I think it helps with the mania and with the hallucinations.

I wish I hadn’t stopped taking it. I may go back on the injections just so I dont keep doing this…

2 Likes