I feel so alone...wish I had my family and friends back

I never hear from my friends or family anymore…I have Angie thank God. and the dogs…that helps…but tonight I am sad. I miss my college days when I was surrounded by friends, beer, and fun. I am just an old man now…not quite old but I am 55 and everyone else my age looks so old…I look young. I feel old though…at least I still have my bluegrass friend Brian and his wife…I get to see them next week. still…so alone…anyone else miss their friends and family?

3 Likes

Im sorry that you are feeling down @jukebox, but at least you are not completely alone.
You still have Angie and your family ( even if you dont hear from them like you want)
You also have your pets and Brian and his wife.

I dont have friends in real life and only have a few family members.
im still thankful because I can be completely alone and this would be horrible.

Hope that you start feeling better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is the case according to my mom that people have less friends as they get older. Maybe consider an adult class or community group to meet more people?

2 Likes

I used to have group therapy but slashes to the clinic’s budget took that away recently. I just need to reach out more but if I don’t nobody ever texts or calls…

everyone is the same way @jukebox it is not only you. It is part of life I guess. I do not have many friends, only a few close. I am not sure which is better. Most of the time when you are surrounded with a lot of people, they do not care really for you. It is so much better to have very few selected good companions. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We get what we give! I get bummed about this too but then I think of all the times I never answered friend or family’s calls or texts. Now I have to be the one to reach out…

2 Likes

After my mom passed and my dad has dementia, my siblings and I hardly talk at all and I only see any of them (except one) a few times a year. I’ve always struggled to maintain friendships, and I don’t feel like I have any real friends at this point. I do get lonely…
But I have my husband. I think, unless you’re super social and put a lot into being social, it’s actually pretty normal to become more isolated as we age.
If I want to make a change, I need to make some phone calls and do some driving… I feel sad that my siblings don’t reach out to me, but the truth is that I don’t reach out much either.
Call someone, @jukebox…? :blush::two_hearts:

1 Like

@Hedgehog thank you sweetheart. Yes, I guess I just need to reach out more…I just wish I would for once hear from them instead of me always having to make contact…makes me feel unimportant. but I am the one with all this time on my hands and they are busy with family and jobs…it’s easy for me when I remember that…I guess we are all just like that song “cats in the cradle” by Harry Chapin.

2 Likes

I have the opportunity of friends but I have the problem of not being willing to open up to them. So I make my own loneliness even though I could have it different. :cry:

2 Likes

I think your super nice and friendly @Jukebox, I think most people these days don’t seem to ever visit in person or even call each other anymore.

Have you asked any of your family and friends to call you?
If you do all of the calling, they may just not realize you’d like to be called too.

2 Likes

I’m surrounded by sz’s all the time, and they still look young to me, even if they are in their fifties. A lot of it is their attitude and behavior. They other day I was looking at a guy, and I was thinking, “My God, he is nearly sixty.” I’m nearly sixty myself. I think that emotionally I’m about the age of an eighteen year old.

1 Like