I don't think we want sz as an identity

If you have positive symptoms and can manage them you can live quite well. Your not your diagnosis, own your truth and believe in yourself.

i like to define myself as a Christian who happens to have schiz lol

1 Like

Not sure what defines my identity. I havenā€™t really gotten over my schizophrenia diagnosis. I hope I do soon.

I used to let it define me, now it doesnā€™t define me anymore.

1 Like

My family thinks the magical powers of ā€œPositive thinkingā€ is the cure for everything, lol.

1 Like

Youā€™d be surprised at how a positive outlook on everything could help!

1 Like

As for example looking at schizophrenia as something that makes you stronger.

It may help some but it isnā€™t a cure allā€¦ Idk, I suppose my black/white thinking is because of my bpd

I wish it was a cure :see_no_evil: Would make life a lot easier!

I think @exhile hit the nail on the headā€¦I would just add: Be as informed as possible. Knowledge is more empowering than ignorance.

And more importantly than the diagnosis you have, is how you are going to manage the condition. There is a wealth of information, and sadly, sometimes misinformation in the public domain regarding the various treatments/issues in dealing with schizophrenia.

1 Like

I let it define meā€¦

1 Like

My therapist always says - it is an illness but it does not define you.
I am not sure anymore about this. My character is different on medication and off medication. It is strange depending on which medication, I change, even my personality and it just gets weirder.

I think this illness is a big part of who I am.

4 Likes

Unfortunately the illness (disorder) including the meds I take does shape my personality.

2 Likes

@MissMermaid, @Wave I think the medication doesnā€™t say who we are, it helps us be who we are.

3 Likes

Meds donā€™t make me crazy but each med I was on gave me a distinct personality.

1 Like

Choose the med that allows you to be the most like the person you want to be.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on it now 15151515

2 Likes

However, this could prevent identity theft.
Anyone who wants to steal my sz identity is welcome to.

So long schizophrenia,ā€¦itā€™s been nice knowing you.

sz is incidental to who I am as a person although it is still a part of my life.