I don't talk much

Is this a symptom of schizophrenia? For the last couple of years this has progressed. Now I’m at the point where I rarely talk.

6 Likes

I’m the same. Poverty of speech is a symptom. It’s getting worse for me too.

7 Likes

@anon39239665 I’m not sure. I have read people can become less engaged, or withdrawn. Could be depression as well

How are you feeling these days?

1 Like

I did at the bigging and it got worse but things turned around for me about 10 years ago, this forum helps too so stick around :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m feeling very good thanks. No depression and I’m highly active. Its just in the area of speech there seems to be something lacking.

2 Likes

Good for you man. I try to go for a walk every day, sometimes three times a day but they are short and I would love to be more active. My hip and back get in the way

I don’t talk very much either. For me, it’s a lack of thoughts popping up during a conversation. I’ve had this problem for a long time though, before I had schizophrenia.

1 Like

I get derailed. It’s embarrassing AF. I’ll just stop mid-sentence and stare off into space. Dammit. My therapist said I have one of the worst thought disorders he’s seen. I can type on here just fine, or write, but when speaking I just lose my thought like someone snatched it from me. And I do think that happens sometimes - the thoughts being snatched by aliens. Rather irritating but I’m coping by being med-compliant and working my CBT in therapy.

3 Likes

I don’t talk much either. I almost always have problems keeping a conversation going. It’s hard for me to concentrate on other peoples words. I’m working on it with my counselor.

2 Likes

can i ask you what medication you taking.because its happning to me and iam taking medication.i live with my mother for 10 years.nothing changed.im sick always gona be sick.

Sure, I take Navane (Thiothixene) 10 mg, twice a day.

im old i always feel old.from when i was a teenager.they call me old soul.

@anon39239665 do you socialize much? cause if you don’t, then i’m not sure it is a red sign that you dont talk much. is your lack of talking interfering with a social life? in that case, that is probably a red flag to the extent that you are hindering a social life that you desire.

1 Like

maybe you just have less to talk about and because your head is quieter and thoughts are slower from medication?

2 Likes

I’m taking abilify

Yes my mind is much quieter now. Does the medication quiet the mind?

2 Likes

Yes it does do that

I have great difficulty speaking and have for my entire life. I have an AAC to use for when it’s non-functional.

I also just whip my phone out, write something on a notes app and hand it to whoever I’m communicating with. My working memory just cannot hold onto enough words to make a sentence. But, give me enough time and a place to type it out and rearrange it…and I’m just as clear as anyone else.

3 Likes

I dont talk to much either but that has been a problem since i can remember anything it has got better during the years though.

1 Like

i dont talk much but i can type for days

1 Like