Not talking much

This has been a long time issue for me. What do you think about it? Is it an issue with mental illness? Is it normal? Im still losing my mind over it. I guess in my case its been several things, including mental illness, isolation and poor self esteem

2 Likes

Poverty of speech is one of the negative symptoms of sz

2 Likes

I don’t talk much either. It upsets me actually. Sometimes.

For me it is to do with low motivation to discover new ideas and things or being a ppl person so gaining experience to talk about, so I have not much to say. It stems from feeling Inferior. I know I’m not Inferior. But that is just how I feel often.

And to answer your question, I think it is normal for some people but I don’t think it’s always healthy.

2 Likes

I’ve always had the problem of poverty of speech for my whole life. It hinders me because I can’t make any friends or have a girlfriend since I never have anything to talk about. It also limits where I can work. I can probably only be a dishwasher or restock shelves.

2 Likes

I hear what you are saying. I have the same type of thoughts. That i dont have much i want to mention.

1 Like

I think it can be not all that ucommon though. Everybody struggles with it to some degree.

1 Like

There’s non mentally ill ppl who naturally don’t talk much so its not necessarily schizophrenia.

1 Like

It’s funny because sometimes I do have some random things that I’d like to mention but my mind kind of goes all spaghetti. Either out of fear or just feeling it is too fragile to mention. Does it make sense. Usually very depressing things. Or very uplifting things. Or just something childish or child like.

1 Like

I have significant poverty of speech. I hardly ever speak verbally; if I do, I pause a lot or slur somewhat. My verbal grammar is atrocious, and I tend to forget more words when speaking vs writing.

When I write, I speak confidently and far more coherently. I am more rational in text as well.

2 Likes

It’s much easier to express yourself on a place like this forum, where you have time to organize your thoughts and type them out.

2 Likes

Yep, i know the spaghetti feeling to well. Or im having crazy thoughts and few thoughts and constantly panicking.

2 Likes

Oh dear, I experience this, too.

I tend to be able to think better when I’m writing, actually. Like I can suddenly understand my own thoughts and block out hallucinations that make it hard to think.

1 Like

I use a dictionnary a lot even when typing here, same words often, my memory is very bad and was the first symptom of schizophrenia I got.
I read cognitive symptoms are the earliest symptoms in schizophrenia.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.