I can finally afford my favorite med but

I’m doing well on the haloperidol shot. I love Invega, and via Mark Cuban’s pharmacy website, I can afford it now. But I think I’m doing better with haloperidol. However, I’m nervous about developing bad side effects. What would you do?

5 Likes

Stay on what works

3 Likes

Obviously we can’t make the decision for you on what drugs to take. That’s a decision to make between you and your doc. But if I were in your shoes, I would be researching all the long term side effects of each, comparing the efficacy of both on your symptoms, since you have tried both, and try to make an informed decision in consultation with your doc based on these two factors. These are factors you are going to have to weigh yourself. Maybe you could make a list of the positives and negatives of both to help you decide?

3 Likes

Good idea @Bowens . I’m going to do that and bring it to my next appointment

3 Likes

Invega increases prolactin too much. I developped male breasts on the similar drug risperidone. I think it would be worse for women as it can make them lactate. It can even make some guys lactate, it happened to a few male users here. Talk about it to your Dr.

1 Like

As for efficacy according to studies haldol is as effective as invega.

1 Like

I am actually scared of getting breast cancer.

1 Like

I’ve used 1. Gen depo for 26 years and the harms were nonexistent.

1 Like

Yeah please speak to your doctor about your concerns @ZmaGal but if it was me I would stick to what’s working best.

2 Likes

I’d go with invega. Potentially less side effects long term. That’s just what I’d do if it was me.

The best thing to do is have a chat with your doctor though… it’s not an easy decision if you’re doing better on haloperidol.

2 Likes

Haldol has a higher incidence of TD that some other meds.

I was on haldol for a bit and bad side effects so I quit.

2 Likes

I’ve done better on Invega than Haldol. On Haldol I had tardive dyskinesia with my mouth and tongue.

2 Likes

good luck on working with your pdoc and I mean that sincerely.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. I guess I’ll just discuss my fears about Haldol and TD with my dr.

7 Likes

My personal experience with 1. Gen and TD is that I’ve none after 26 years of use of the antipsychotics Clopixol.

1 Like

Hmm. I’d stay on haloperidol, since it’s working well. But at the first sign of TD or another bad side effect, I’d switch back to the Invega.

1 Like