I am suffering at the hands of my brother in law

I had the misfortune of bumping in to my brother in law at my parents house today. Relations are frosty all because my brother in law has no understanding of schizophrenia.

My brother in law seems to think Im scum because of some crazy things ive done in the past, which were down to voices. The voices had complete control over me and made me do crazy crazy things which I later regretted.

But I was innocent in doing the thing s I did. But my brother in law thinks im scum and looks at me that way. It hurts me, and to think I have to spend Christmas at his house this coming December.

How will I change the way he sees me. How do I put up with him. How do I make him know im not scum.

Avoid him - if that’s possible

1 Like

I am not in good relations with my gold digging, self centered Sister in Law - My Brothers wife.

Years ago she decided to write a Hate filled letter - describing me as a Monster and a Tyrrant - what a â– â– â– â– â– â– â–  loser she is.

I cannot stand to look at her and talking to her is a chore for me.

We spend Christmas Eve at her house and occassionally visit them at their House - I dont like going there because I cannot stand to be in the same room as her.

She basically married my Brother for his Money, and he is too blind to see how things really are with her.

The best thing you can do is ignore your brother in law - changing others does not work.

I try to ignore my Sister in law, but its almost impossible for me to do this completely.

He’s an “in-law”, who cares. I did some weird things too while under harassment and I don’t feel like I’m obliged to care. In fact, I don’t even think I’m going to end up in the same world as my family is post-death… so I’m less motivated to keep social ties with the family - which in 2016 will evidently just be Facebook.

I leave it up to my family to contact me if they want to stay in-touch. They both (my two younger sisters) have boyfriend/fiances now, and my mother has a new lover too… so they should be more than preoccupied and I’ll thankfully have more alone time.

Moral of the story, care less and force your family to care more. The less they care, the more vulnerable you are, and we as people with SZ need to be treated better than that. If you care more about others than they care about you, then that’s a bad association to hang with.

Whatever your voices made you do, even if you really didn’t mean them, that doesn’t mean they didn’t hurt others. I once became convinced my ex boyfriend had raped me. I confronted him about it and he was totally shocked. He thought he must have gotten blackout drunk, even though he didn’t drink much, because that would be the only possible explanation. This is a guy who, sure wasn’t the greatest boyfriend in the world, but he really cared about my well-being and was very considerate sexually.

Once I figured out it was a delusion, I still had to apologize to him and explain things, because he spent months thinking he was some sort of monster. Even though my actions were totally justified in the situation, they still hurt him, and he still has the right to be angry with me for making him doubt his character.

I would just avoid him.