I am addicted to fluids

i literally feel like im gonna flip out if i have to go more than 20 minutes without a drink. i feel restless and panicked. anyone else addcited to drinks? i cant go to the store without a drink. i drink up until i fall asleep. i drink as im falling asleep haha.

3 Likes

Do you have diabetes?

1 Like

nope dont have diabetes

2 Likes

I drink about 5 litres of water each day and I am not active. I thought us schizophrenics drink more than the general population. I think I was told or read it somewhere.

3 Likes

Does it have to be flavored or do you drink water too

2 Likes

i think its best to aim for around 2 liters of water per day… drinking too much water caused dehydration. Hydration is not about water. When you drink too much water it flushes out the electrolytes from your system and makes you more thirsty. The key is getting a balanced amount… around 2L and if your thirsty its probably electrolytes which are best gotten from fruits and vegetables

3 Likes

I only drink flavored

2 Likes

Yeah I feel like that’s probably an addiction

2 Likes

Psychogenic polydipsia - Symptoms, diagnosis and treatment | BMJ Best Practice US.

2 Likes

thats prob what it is tho not extreme enough to kill me at this point. i only drink probably about a gallon and a half a day.

1 Like

I’m addicted to fluids too. Mostly iced tea and coffee though. I am constantly drinking it.

2 Likes

I am constantly drinking water, coffee and decaf tea

2 Likes

You may not have diabetes that most people think of but what about diabetes insipidus?

2 Likes

probably not. i got tested for it when i was like 8. but i did drink a lot less back then than i do now so i may test differently now days

2 Likes

I’m guessing it’s been a long time since you were 8. The test is easy. It’s totally worth taking again to know for sure

2 Likes

It’s the I only drink flavored that worries me… Either way I drink 2.5-3 liters a day, it’s almost a chore for me, in the morning I chug down a liter and then half a liter with every meal every 4h. You have a serious problem if you drink a gallon and a half a day, and of flavored stuff to boot. That’s twice what I drink without any rhyme or reason for it, and I have reasons to drink as much as I do. I am tall and I take fiber supplements which require extra water to help my digestive system and not clog it…

Drinking this much is definitely pushing your body, you shouldn’t stress it beyond a gallon each day. Just pick any old 1 gallon container and decide that you are only drinking what’s in it for the day. If it needs to be flavored so be it but that’s how you got addicted to “fluids”, which is really a weird way to call whatever is flavoring this stuff.

It’s not healthy and cute. It’s a health hazard even if it doesn’t hide any pathological condition behind it. You should work with your primary caretaker to find together if something is wrong with you and to try and find ways to help you taper off what you’ve been doing. It’s not even just the excess of water, whatever is flavoring what you are drinking is going to cause issues taken in large enough quantities by itself.

I’m sorry you have this problem, it doesn’t sound easy to deal with. The fact that you’ve been drinking flavored stuff really puts emphasis on the theory that you are quite simply addicted to the stimulation, which comes from the flavor more than from the fluids. Good luck making this habit less… risky.

2 Likes

i put “fluids” cause if i put “drinking” it sounds like alcoholism. and i didnt wanna list all my drinks cause thats a lot but basically its an energy drink in the morning, then mostly coke zero, sometimes unsweetened tea, and then water with a flavor packet at night, and also carbinated water with flavoring. but i used to be addicted to just water like prob 8 years ago, and after that unsweetened tea. and ive been like this since i was about 8 so idk. i went through a period in high school where i didnt drink enough but other than that i have always drank a ton and peed all the time.

1 Like

Antipsychotics cause strong dehyrdation; you’re probably thirsty and pick up drinks because of this feeling. I am the same, except i do it with energy drinks

3 Likes

it mighta contributed to the habit but im not on APs right now

2 Likes

Polydipsia, or drinking excessive fluids can have many causes including psychosis. Clozapine has been shown to be helpful treating polydipsia caused by psychosis. . I can’t post the link, but you might want to search clozapine and polydipsia.

3 Likes