Schizophrenia.com

How would you phrase your sz experience in a way relatable to non-sufferers?

“Imagine staying stuck in your emo teen years for the rest of your life.”

Your turn. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I hear voices and conversations in my head, the voices narrate my actions sometimes or ask me questions, or make statements or observations. Sometimes I see in my mind’s eye weird things that I didn’t come up with myself. Images of people or areas, sometimes late at night I see scary things too. Also I can’t concentrate or focus like a normal person can.

That’s pretty much it.

2 Likes

Imagine doing illegal drugs everday. But there is no pleasure from the drugs; just the fear that the police might catch you and arrest you for criminal activity.

4 Likes

Recently I’ve been thinking my schizophrenia in a literal way: split reality: my delusions sometimes have me thinking everyone in the world wants me to be tortured, sometimes I think my family loves me very much; there’s usually no gray area. Also, I’m convinced of things very easily and my beliefs change very easily. Also, I usually believe that the world’s spying on me and hates me and that I regularly dissociate and do mean things.

3 Likes

Like being Alice in Wonderland

2 Likes

Having a man in my head trying to take over and control me

2 Likes

I’d tell him/her it’s like someone hijacks your mind to do things whatever they want.

4 Likes

I tell them i got frightened because of a threatening situation i couldnt escape. And this lasted so long that i got extremely frightened and my fears werent realistic anymore. First i thought my creepy ex would hurt my child and me, stalk us, as he said, which was realistic. Then i thought the devil was after us and would hurt us. My mind made a metaphor of my fears to escape reality.

2 Likes

it can be like a permanant bad trip on LSD. Not trusting what your brain is telling you. It really fcks me right off - when people look at the benefits i get and not the illness. Most of them would bloody crap themselves if they experienced my brain when its in psychosis. They would be screaming for their fcking mother.

3 Likes
  • I can not move my own body. My body moves around and does things (sometimes strange things) by itself, as if possessed
  • My thoughts are gone and the mind is completely blank most of the time. When it’s not currently blank, there can be a voice talking, fake thoughts (things that do not feel like your own thoughts) or mental images produced by my schizophrenia
  • My emotions and old feelings are gone. Now I feel bad feelings, every day (they’re new feelings, ones I never felt before having schizophrenia). I was tortured badly for 8 months while I was in the hospital, now the feelings are more tolerable, or short lived (the feelings are being turned on and off).

That sums my current experience up pretty much.

My past experiences have been wiped away from my memory. Many strange things happened during that time, which I only know from the notes I have written and from what my relatives have told me.

3 Likes

I have sensory input and beliefs that have no relation to reality.
I hear voices, all of them having a unique personality and purpose/function

2 Likes

It’s like your not sure if your dreaming or awake

1 Like

Most people wouldn’t understand nor accept any explanation. Everybody must be normal and meet all the normal criteria.

1 Like

Imagine having paranoia so bad you’re constantly fighting your own brain
and you’ve lost grip of reality.

2 Likes

I say it’s like having a nightmare, except you know you’re awake.

2 Likes

Imagine being in flight or fight mode almost 24/7 unless you have medicine to chill out while always expecting the worst possible thing to happen at any second. Might be a little extreme but it’s my experience with my symptoms

3 Likes

The world changes, voices scream, walls move, gravity changes, the whole world becomes my enemy, and irrational thoughts take control.

It’s hell

2 Likes

This correlates to partly of what I deal with also.

2 Likes

Same here. And och and ops

1 Like