How to overcome social anxiety?

I had it since before sz. It sucks. I have a friend who has it too and he said meds and therapy are useless for him, meds give him ED.

4 Likes

Its making me a negative person people around me tell me.

1 Like

2 Likes

Seroxat helped me with that and CBT
But I have bigger issues with paranoias and voices that hold me back

2 Likes

Yea I have bigger issues too to fix first, sz negative symptoms.

2 Likes

I used to have social anxiety when I was younger. Mine mostly resolved because I just dont care much anymore what random people think. I have no idea what the solution for you is. There are medications that are supposed to be able to help with this. I have no idea if you want to start taking another med or not. I imagine therapy could be useful as well. IDK.

Edit: There are also some self help programs. I used one called “attacking anxiety” when I was younger.

2 Likes

Did they resolve because now you have much less social contact? Thats what happened to me, I only get social anxiety when hanging out with friends, going to nighclubs trying to date women, etc

1 Like

I don’t think so, I do occasionally still go out in public and I dont have any issues with it. While its true that I have less social contact than I used to, I don’t think that would cause less social anxiety. The opposite is true I think, the more social contact you have, the more you get used to it.

2 Likes

Not for me, its actually the opposite, the more social contact face to face I have the more social anxiety. I am fine here on the forum as its not face to face.

2 Likes

Exposure yourself a bit socially. Once you are handling it increase it again. Repeat as necessary.

3 Likes

Am I a negative person for always thinking and talking about my sz negative symptoms?

1 Like

I tried my best when I was on Abilify. I failed for the 8yrs I was on it.

1 Like

Pregabalin helped my anxiety a lot

2 Likes

I have no idea if you are a negative person all around or not. You do often speak negatively on the forum though, so I would suspect that you could do with trying to develop a more positive outlook. I think it would be beneficial to you.

3 Likes

I wish I knew how. I think its just my personality and nature. Thats what I read online.

2 Likes

One of the methods from “attacking anxiety” that I remember is to be conscious of your thoughts. When you start having a negative thought, stop it, and replace it with a positive thought. I think there was also journaling involved, but thats too complicated of a topic for me to get into here. You could start with that though, and see if it helps.

2 Likes

I feel like I am annoying you but how do I stop a thought? I have no control over my thoughts, they come naturally.

1 Like

I think that CBT has similar methods, so purchasing a program or book similar to these might be worth your investment.

2 Likes

Thats what my friend does and he said it doesn’t help him. Anyways I have a bigger problem to solve before, sz negative symptoms which have no treatment.

2 Likes
2 Likes