How to get kids to read again

There should be classes in high school. Well my high school had a film class I took. It also had literature courses. I feel if they combined the two together. Show the movie, assign the book, kids will get back into reading. It’s how I got into reading fiction again. Kids are visual no patience for reading these days. With this technique, you catch their attention with the movie, then keep their interest going with the book. Thoughts?

When I was in my senior years of high school we got to choose a stream of English that we wanted to read on. I chose 19th century literature. That got me back into reading.

As a side note, the teacher I had for that class I had had for various classes all through high school up until that point. We didn’t much like each other until we bonded over Pride and Prejudice.

I also discovered my favourite story, First Love by Ivan Turgenev

1 Like

I had the same English teacher for 2 years and then I had him 1 semester for film. He knows I didn’t read any of his books lol. I think I might email him and tell him how much I read now and how I taught myself to read again. Hmmm

1 Like

How did you teach yourself to read again. It’s something I need to look into trying. I have such terrible concentration skills these days.

By watching the movie first, then reading the book. Well first I read philosophy and non fiction, but lately been reading a lot of fiction by watching the movie first so I get an image in my head.

1 Like

I think more sensory needs to be involved in learning. The studies show the more you involve other senses, the better the knowledge is retained. So when reading, you can read out loud, and draw what you’re reading - that involves verbal, visual, hearing, and touch, the only thing missing is smell.

1 Like

I think that’s a great idea, @turningthepage. I would also say that books based on video games seem to do really well at spring boarding children’s interest in literature. What’s great about books on video games and films is that they can complement each other. They can do world building, character backstories, and sequels or prequels.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

When I was 22 I read electric koolaid acid test

My previous read was catcher in the rye when I was 14

Then when I was 24 I got the birthday present of the b00k by Alan watts

Ever since I can’t stop reading.

I plan on reading 20 books the next 12 months minimum

1 Like

Lol idk about that. Reading seems pretty healthy. I thought I had read it all but the more I explore, the more I realize its like music. always more to listen to/read. I bought a barnes and noble membership. I’ve bought 7 books recently, read half of surviving schizophrenia, all of trainspotting, half of clockwork orange…i have 2 non-fiction i havent started and 2 other fiction i havent started either …one flew over the coocoos nest and junky

i realize i have a book buying addiction, im trying to not buy another book til i finish all 7…right now ive finished like 2

1 Like

1 Like

Maybe you could try reading short stories, or even poetry. Then move on to novels.

1 Like