Have you read a lot as a child?

Perhaps I’m just over thinking the situation…but since my son started to read pretty early, and moves slightly from encyclopedias to children books - not only he wants me to read him aloud but he also reads for himself now - I kinda start to think is it actually good to enter the world of fiction in such an early age.
I was also an early reader. Soon as I got into the school I started borrowing random books from library and I was always that kid in the class who has already read a book we’re about to study.

Anyways. I’m not sure how reading shapes us as a persons, if it has any significance at all. Obviously, it doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be happy, wealthy or successful. Maybe it can guarantee that you’ll grow up as a more thoughtful and emphatic person. I don’t know.

What was your first book?
Mine was " The Hedgehog house" from our famous children writer Branko Copic ( @anon61768033 probably knows what I’m talking about)
What about you?

6 Likes

I never read a book since my childhood…!!!

I used to read a lot of Stephen King as a child. Can’t remember my first book. Maybe “goodnight moon”'
Or “the Giving Tree”. Oh yes the Velvatine Rabbit"is another good one.

2 Likes

Lord of the Flies was the first book I read and it scared the hell out of me. I don’t remember books being around the house as a child. They might have been, but certainly not a lot of them.

Reading is good for the young, it increases their IQ, it teaches them how to express themselves in words, opens the door to things they might want to explore some day. More of us at any age should read more.

1 Like

I used to read a lot as a kid, and turned into a bookworm when I got older. Then after diagnosis, I stopped reading as I didn’t have the concentration.

1 Like

Yes I read a lot as a child, still do. The highlight of my week is a walk to the library. :slight_smile:

1 Like

There will be a movie filmed by this book.As I was reading the post,I’ve heard on radio about finishing the movie,so enjoy when it comes to your cinema.

1 Like

Yes :slight_smile:

I remember reading abridged versions of the classic novels (like “Treasure Island”, “The Time Machine”) as a kid.

Reading is a great hobby :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don’t remember my first book. I’ve mostly read continuously throughout my life. The early years of SZ disrupted that and it was like learning to read all over again in some ways. Now I read a book every couple of days. I remember my fifth grade teacher being shocked that I had already read Dracula, Frankenstein, and the LotR Trilogy by the time I had reached his classroom.

:blush:

2 Likes

lol imagine being requiring to read LotR for class.

I remember reading harry potter during school, but mom stopped me. still watched the movies

ahh yeah - I started reading and writing poems since I was a little kid too - and I loved the smell of books =)
It was my dream to be an author till around the age of 12-14. Then it just changed I guess. I still read till I was around 19 but then after the illness - it just not happening.

My first book - were a series of fictional history we have in our culture made for children - maybe I was around 6 or so I had the whole collection - and it was around 25 books =)

1 Like

Have you guys read Mark Twain’s Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn? Oh and Robinson Crusoe, and Jules Verne, those were amongst the ‘west’ ones although we had more of those from the ‘communism’ front. I heard for LOTR when I was in high school lol. That’s how fast world trends traveled. :smirk:
I know that, unlike my kid, I didn’t really like to read about nature, animals, space and stuff. I only went for stories.

2 Likes

I think I spotted something like that, but it said animated movie and it gonna be presented at the Berlin film festival.

1 Like

ohhhhh I still love those =)

I am happy your son is reading =)

2 Likes

Man you gotta fix it. Maybe Fifty shades of Grey - just to get you back on the track. :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s all I ever did as a kid was read!

2 Likes

I used to get grounded from reading when I was a child. It was all I wanted to do. I was reading short novels at age 5.

My first book - I don’t know. My parents read to me before I was born. The earliest ones that I remember strongly were I Am a Bunny by Richard Scarry, and The Poky Little Puppy.

2 Likes

Reading has been correlated with a LOT of positive things…higher intelligence, greater creativity, better writing skills, the benefits go on and on.

I’ve been an avid reader since even before I could actually read lol. As a baby my mom said I would pull all the books on my shelf and tell the story from the pictures or from memory. I learned to read by 3, was reading Harry Potter by 5, and had a 9th grade reading level by 8. I’ve always loved reading and still read regularly today.

1 Like

Books and films made me schizophrenic, how you are schizophrenic without reading books?so where did you get your delusions?:unamused:

I am wondering if someone here was into “The Hardy Boys” series or into books by Enid Blyton as a kid?