How do you think of the film “A Beautiful Mind?”

It’s one of my favorite films. Won several academy awards including best picture. I found the film to be fairly accurate, mainly with him finding insignificant patterns around him because of his delusional nature. I don’t have hallucinations so I can’t necessarily relate to that.

How did you guys think of the movie?

• Great
  • Mediocre
  • Bad
0 voters

Governing dynamics is kind of a fun way of thinking at just a conceptual level, not in the advanced math calculations. But you can gamify or make a game out of any situation and choose the most rational decision by the way things will play out.

I had my own governing dynamics delusion probably inspired by what I know about John Nash but I have no formal knowledge or adequate intelligence to make sense of something like that.

I think i read a bit too much about it then when i went psychotic last time i had some influenced thoughts

When I was hallucinating with respect to information stored in news paper. I was not much triggered when the news paper was sold for recycling. Because I had seen that movie earlier.

I was like oh my research gone to :recycle: recycling :sweat_smile:

More than that I feel way better now.

1 Like

I personally couldn’t relate.

I don’t hallucinate and I don’t care for math and numbers. My psychotic delusions involved music lyrics, words, language…etc.

4 Likes

I have delusions like that too. I feel like there are signs everywhere. I get some from pictures too including paintings.

1 Like

John Nash stopped taking meds in 1970, but the movie shows Nash taking meds well after 1970. That’s a significant discrepancy.

2 Likes

I put mediocre but I would probably rank it somewhere between mediocre and great. A beautiful mind was one of a pair of films Russel Crowe did with Ron Howard, the other being Cinderella Man. I thought Cinderella man was great.

3 Likes

It’s Hollywood garbage imo, I hope that’s not too harsh.

I was disappointed when I seen the John gnash interview, I guess his son also has schizophrenia, looked rather unglamorous. I feel bad for his son, he wanted to be like his dad only to do so in a lesser fashion

Also possibly noteworthy I heard the real story was also worse. Apperantly John Nash was homeless for a long time and everything, they didn’t mention any of those details in the film

All films distort the truth, but either way I found it fantastic

1 Like

Yeah I guess like others said I didn’t relate to it. Ironically i watched it a lot before and during SZ, during not even realizing that’s what I had

Different strokes for different folks!

1 Like

Did anyone even have any interest in the way he was thinking in his brilliant idea if it was paranoid or intuitive or whatever?

I found it really interesting that psychosis is claimed to have helped originate the idea.

Game theory and stuff like that interests me but I dont have the discipline to study it

I have intended to read about Game Theory but haven’t gotten around to it. It supposedly won him the Nobel prize if I’m correct.

Yep nobel. HIs was in the area of governing dynamics which is part of game theory. Its pretty cool to learn about. Start with prisoner’s dilemma game and if you get it maybe try to learn more.

1 Like

Despite the criticism everyone claims of this film you got to ask yourself how many Hollywood films actually depict schizophrenics as humans that can related to and in a positive light.

i had influenced delusions i wrote about in this post

i was overanalyzing and drawing false conclusions based on brief statements

Just watched this video on it! Very fascinating. Not as hard to understand as I thought it would be. Will look more into it later. Almost sounds like Adam Smiths theories.

1 Like

You got to keep in mind that was done intentionally by the director. John Nash was a special case who could handle being off medication if they actually showed on the film how many other people would quit their medication after seeing a film like that?

1 Like