How do you deal with the sadness?

I’ve been ill for a long time and lost most of my ability to function. When I have insight, this makes me sad - especially as I know it will probably never go away. It’s a constant struggle to control my mind and it’s exhausting. The anhedonia and avolition make life seem pointless.

Does it do this to you? How do you deal with it?

6 Likes

How long have you been ill for @unbe? It can take quite a while and the right medication before any great improvement is seen. I felt exactly the same way that you are feeling now and it wasn’t until my psychiatrist after 7 years or so decided to give me a high dose of an antidepressant to treat my anxiety. I am a new woman now, although a bit annoying to those that have only seen me at my depressed low self.

2 Likes

17 yrs @Sarah. I’ve had periods of wellness, periods of psychosis and rapid cycling mood disorder. I’ve been well lately and when I get insight I have grief for what I’ve lost and PTSD from what I’ve been through. Most of the time I’m OK with it though. I’ve been on just about every medication out there, none of them work completely, but they do help. The negative symptoms get me the most and the meds don’t help with that.

1 Like

@unbe, I don’t know what to say. I read everyone’s stories on here and all I see is how fortunate I am in having what appears to be only a minor case of Schizophrenia. All I can suggest is try with all your might to focus on the positive things in your life no matter how small and insignificant they may seem.

Do you have a pet? If not, I hope your living arrangements would allow you to get one. Pets are great for lifting our spirits and helping to shoulder some of life’s burdens. I wish I could do something to help.

3 Likes

Thanks Sarah, I’ll get over it, I usually do.

I had a cat, I wasn’t great at looking after her so I won’t get another pet.

I just wonder how people deal with it.

1 Like

What you describe does happen to me as well. It sounds like you are having a moment of clarity and it is depressing you. For me, it is not all the time. Here is how I deal with this.
What helps me is finding some things to do. I like watching sports on TV, reading the news on the internet, and taking walks with friends. Another thing that helps is having friends who like to talk on the telephone. Also, when my lack of motivation got pretty bad, my doctor added an activating anti-depressant (Wellbutrin/Bupropion).
When I get depressed I sit and think about it and then I write about it here on this forum and the people usually respond and help me out.

3 Likes

This helps me a lot as well. Although I hate bothering them.

I just go into party mode and enjoy good food and beverages, video games and movies. Sometimes I even get out of the house and talk to people at a bar or coffee house. As long as I don’t expect myself to pull in 6 figures and settle down into a family anytime soon like I did before I got sick, I’m able to stay happy. It’s also important to stay away from prejudiced people. That’s kind of a personal one for me.

2 Likes

I don’t get sad anymore, thank goodness.

I find as many small ways to be happy as I can. Going for walks, listening to music, painting when I can… I haven’t read a book in a few years, I’m extremely forgetful, I can not relax, long lasting happiness is impossible, BUT, I string together moments of happiness like stepping stones, and I try to focus on things outside of myself. I live each day and it’s enough for me. I try to be in the moment and that helps me to not feel upset.

3 Likes

I’ve just resigned myself to it, to be honest. :frowning: Just set up permanent residence in frown town.

3 Likes

I have mild psychosis right now and it’s frustrating. I’m out of a job now, and I had to cancel all my support group commitments, I’m too tired for the gym… all I have now to do are occasional outings with friends, once a week day treatment, going out for lunch, and obsessively following news and social media outlets in hopes of getting in better touch with my delusions regarding politics. I’ve sort of given up on having a good life for the time being. But it always cheers me up to go out a bit or talk to someone.

1 Like

Something I get sad about was getting sick at the young age of 14. Iit’s as if my life was blindsided.I used to just use hobbies to cope.

This doesn’t rise to depression because when I’m around my one friend I laugh and I do enjoy myself throughout the day.

Oh and I just came off of gabapentin (neurontin) withdrawal. Putting me on that was the grossest incompetence.

I find talking about it to my husband or sister or mom helps
Listening to cheerful music helps too
I love reading when I’m able to
And a back scratch from my husband is always something that cheers me up :blush:
Also to write down a gratitude list or pray to God thanking Him for whatever I can think of that I’m grateful for

1 Like

I buy myself little snacks every now and then. A pastry, a cake, etc. A nice cup of coffee makes me happy when the caffeine kicks in.

I also hang out with family from time to time.

1 Like

A friend that is staying at my place discovered me crying, she held my hand and said “it’s ok to be sad”. We talked for a while and then I felt much better and it went away.

Sometimes I just get depressed about it. But mostly I’m content, to do that I’ve had to lower my expectations of myself and just be happy for little things.

Not being able to make and see through big plans - like projects or adventures is a bummer though. I guess I just have to be content with the simple life from now on.

1 Like

It must be great to be married and get back scratches etc! Lately I’ve had a flatmate and that’s been nice.

So sorry @TheNicestFreak that you got sick so young. That must have been really hard. Friends are precious and they help heaps. Are you feeling better off the gabapentin?

Therapy, cbt, medication. Trying my best to be useful to other when I can.

1 Like

I feel sadness everyday.
I also suffer with awful anhedonia and avolition symptoms.
I feel like an empty zombie.

Just awful.

1 Like