How do you control your appetite?

I’ve been on abilify for about a month and my appetite is out of control, you guys have any advice for how to control your appetite other than just fighting the urge to eat all the time? Maybe drink more coffee, supposedly that suppresses your appetite

7 Likes

I take Metformin 1 g twice daily. Although it is a drug for diabetes (i don’t have diabetes), it is also very good at managing your appetite. I’ve already lost 3 kg in the past couple of week.

4 Likes

Yeah my pdoc has already said something about metformin. Have you had any side effects?

1 Like

I felt a little nauseous when i first started taking it, but it was only mild and it resolved in a couple of days. Now, i have no side effects.

2 Likes

I’m trying desperately to lose the weight that I gained from starting risperidone (16 pounds in a month or so), and so far I’ve lost 7 pounds in oh, I guess about 5 weeks now. I started changing my eating habits to boost my metabolism.

I use to eat once or twice a day, a big meal. Now I’m having these vegan nutritional shakes a couple times a day and 1 meal. I’m actually getting more calories but burning them plus some. I can totally tell that I have increased my metabolism and when I eat I just want a normal portion. I’m not binging.

These shakes are 200 calories and yummy. They are about $2.50 each so I’m saving money on food and I have more energy. And since I’m allergic to milk these are safe for me.

Amazon.com : Orgain Vegan Protein Shakes, 20g of Plant Based Protein, Creamy Chocolate - Gluten Free, No Dairy, Soy, or Preservatives, No Added Sugar, 11 Fl Oz, 12 Count (Packaging May Vary) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

2 Likes

Yeah I thought about trying slim fast. Do the shakes taste good? Is it like juicing?

1 Like

I have increased appetite on abilify, too.
I don’t take anything to curb it, yet.
My weight has been stable for several months now, I walk every day for at least 30min, but I should exercise more…

2 Likes

Yeah I stay hungry all the time. Did your appetite ever lessen? Or does it stay that way?

Caffeine and nicotine.

:coffee::smoking:

4 Likes

I was on metformin, and it did help me keep the weight under control.
A sideffect was that I had diarrhea for the first 2-3 weeks.
I could barely go on a 10 minute walk without running to a bathroom. Apparently it’s quite common. But it did pass.

2 Likes

Not really. I particularly crave sweets. But also regular food. I’ve learned to refrain from over eating, but I sometimes still indulge in copious meals.

3 Likes

I suck lollipop’s to stop me from eating junk.

I try to get sugar free ones even.

I like to always have a drink or food all day long comfort but lollipop seems good.

I was a smoker about fifteen years ago.

3 Likes

With the blockbuster diabetes drug Mounjaro

Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to manage

2 Likes

Myself and another forum member had luck with a b-complex . That seemed to curb Abilify induced hunger pangs.

Go for a low powered b-complex though. Not one with 1000% rda of b vitamins. Those high powered b-complexes might interact with abilify to give you chest pain. Or might not. Just be careful with them.

I’m also on Metformin (1500mg/day) though and that probably helps.

Also I drink decaffeinated coffee which helps curb appetite.

4 Likes

I don’t know if metamucile really helps with appetite but it’s advertised as such.
I use it for a laxative because meds dry me out so.
It has gone up in price recently but I think it’s worth it.
It’s natural and you never go potty in your pants.

4 Likes

I have a hard time controlling my appetite. So you’re not alone.

2 Likes

Is that just a pill? Where did you get it?

1 Like

Any health food shop will have it.

Or pharmacy probably.

3 Likes

Same I always want sugar. I’m trying not to get diabetes lol

2 Likes

I tried slim fast before I became allergic to milk and I didn’t feel like I was having something healthy. These drinks are very agreeable to my system except the gas. Honestly, I could live without that, but it isn’t so bad now that I’m used to it. I feel good after I have one and they taste just like chocolate milk. If you have the money to try I recommend it.

2 Likes