How do you budget and not overspend?

I micro budget my money. I get £590 a month from my appointee, they manage my money as they they I lack capacity. Out of my £590 personal allowance I have to pay my mobile/cellphone bill at £60 a month. I haven’t missed any payments in 2 years, I used to be bad with money.

This is how I budget money money. I make a list on what I’m saving/spending. I’m doing better/ I’m wanting to save £300 a month.

6 Likes

I usually guestimate about my budget, but I am very conservative about what I buy, so I don’t get in trouble.

2 Likes

I spend a lot on my gaming PC.

I dont save anything never miss my bills or stuff like that tho

1 Like

I need to do better. I’ve cut out a lot of stuff like booze and doing all the right things but still running a car on the pension. I’ve also just got into a new phone and that was a nightmare. I hope the next month is better…I have some car bills that need fixing.

1 Like

I’m in the black so I spend money on little things with impunity. I’m trying to cut down on going to too many fast food joints but it is nice when I’m going to a doctors appointment or going to get my car washed or going down the street to CVS etc. that I can stop at one of the numerous fast food joints around here and buy a Coke or maybe one food item without worrying too much about spending.

When I paid off my credit cards about two years ago and then started accumulating some “extra” money my sisters both said that I should do something like go to a concert or some other event like a play or something. My sister was taking the time to help me manage my money so she had a little say in what I did with it. But I told her I didn’t want to shell out a couple hundred dollars for a one time thing, I wanted to just be able to buy little things and spend it slowly over a long period of time and not worry about it. So that’s what I’ve been doing for the last year or two.

I don’t have a lot of bills; really just internet and phone service, utilities, gas, rent and food. Food eats up the most money, after rent. Food prices are outrageous around here.

6 Likes

I love :two_hearts: planning how to budget my money.

I am not in debt but I have no savings.

I love spending money specially lately.

I gave my savings to my x in SA go fund me page so now I don’t have any.

I need savings in case of emergency.
In case my fur babies need the vet etc

I can’t stop myself from spending all my money at moment.

I always pay my bills in time though so that’s good at least.

Most of my money goes to my sacred neigh.:two_hearts:she is my favourite sweet heart.
Happy she’s happy.

I want to save up for a face lift but that could take twenty years of savings and I’m thinking it better put that money to saving animal lives.

Next year I hope to save up so I have some savings if my fur babies need vet etc

I also want to save up for a tattoo.

2 Likes

I am not going to use heating this winter.

:expressionless:

1 Like

One thing I learned personally is to avoid alcohol all together. When I was drinking I’d be out of money mid month. You figure $11 for a twelve pack several times a week or every day of the week adds up pretty fast. I’m still not where I want to be budget wise but am learning.

:smiley:

1 Like

I’m actually smiling here because it’s so true. The goddamn amount of money goes into heating my studio every day, and it’s not even hot but semi-warm. Perhaps we should order onesies from Amazon and avoid completely draining our money

You can also open a saving accoun with a 7 day withdrawal notice. Just in case you get any impulses or urges to spend your money on something meaningless, you would need to wait 7 days before you could access any of your savings. I have one, and it works really well.

2 Likes

I find wearing a hat, wooly thick socks, a scarf and fingerless gloves does the trick :upside_down_face:

we have already had some cold days in england, also a second blanket.

but onesies sounds good too!

2 Likes

Me neither.

I was suprised at how expensive my electricity bill was when I only used a little heating.

Expensive!

How I miss having a fireplace.

1 Like

I need to do better about budgeting. I’ve heard apps which allow you to closely track how you use money can be helpful. Might look into trying one and I’ll report back if I have a positive experience.

I keep track of what I have to pay as far as bills go. And I set that money aside. Then I take the remaining cash and split it in half. One half goes to debt/savings the other half is fun money that I can spend on whatever i want.

Keep track of how much money you have, keep track of how many expenses and financial obligations you have, and consider every purchase carefully.

1 Like

I only sort of work a month ahead. Without fail im back into the over draft at the bank, but then they send me tho odd text saying i can extend it. lol.

All my debts combined is only about 900. And i always pay my bills early before they are due, like the mobile and the energy bill.

I plod along with my money. Ive got 2 grand available on the credit card for emergencys, like if the cooker blew up, so i do ok.

2 Likes

with my new burden of $210 for reasons I can’t explain…no it’s not for pot…keeps me broke all month…living on food stamps at this point…

I put $200 on a prepaid Walmart credit card at the first of each month.

This is all I have for disposable income.

It’s tight…

2 Likes

That’s actually a really good idea, I might try that. I have about the same amount per month to spend.

It costs $5.95 a month for the card, and $5.95 to reload it with cash.

But if you load cash on the card electronically (I do mine thru Chase bank) they waive one of the $5.95 fees.

So in the end it costs me $6 a month to stay on budget. That is money well spent IMO

2 Likes