How did your delusions go away?

I am caught in the middle of believing my delusions and not believing them. Slowly they are going away. I’m on meds. Did your delusions just disappear one day or did you go through a period of being on the fence? I’m on the fence and everyday I am closer to getting over it. I write down reasons why my delusion isn’t true and a list of my behavior which is mentally ill behavior (previously thought to be ‘controlled’ behavior). I’d really like to hear how your delusions went way.

1 Like

I went through a fence period. Mine never really went away just became more subtle. Certain things can bring them out again. Mine went slowly but surely. I hope yours do too!

2 Likes

I’ve been on the fence for a long, long time. I see things and I remember things that can’t be true, but all my senses told me that was in fact what was happening. I can still get mad about things I hear on the radio, thinking they’re talking about me. I’m probably going to stay on the fence for a while.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’d call it time on the fence, but for me, I just stopped thinking about them so often. When I did think of them, they were still compelling, but I just didn’t think about them so much, until one day I thought of them and they had no hold on me.

1 Like

I went through a fence period. Some of the stuff went away right away with meds. But believing I was Jesus and I had special powers I was on the fence on for a while. It was probably 2 years on meds consecutively I completely stopped believing in it :slight_smile:

Every once in a while I’ll say “maybe im jesus” for a split second, but even that hasn’t happened in a few months.

1 Like

I was still a bit unstable when I got out of the hospital…I lied about questions about am I a agent for God. and marked it yes but then erased it furiously and put “no”. that one got me out of the hospital early but I shouldn’t have been released yet probably. I went to my mom’s farm and believed that my time loop had finally ended and that I was in heaven. green pastures and cows with blue sky all the time…but then that wore off as long as I took my meds right. very hard time for me accepting that all I had believed was just lies my mind whispered to me because I had schizophrenia. I am better now.

It took a while, but not too long after going on meds. One of the voices claimed to be Jesus and told me that if I took the meds then all the other voices would go away except for the one claiming to be Jesus. Eventually all of the voices went away after getting on a high enough dose, and I realized that the voice couldn’t have been God because it was wrong, I didn’t hear one voice, I heard none. Also, the voices had me convinced that I had started WWIII somehow, and after watching tv a few months after the fact, I realized that that was impossible because there was no WWIII. I figured if the voices were wrong about that they were probably wrong about everything else too, pretty much. The only thing they were right about was that someone in my family or relatives would die soon, and my uncle did soon after at a young age. They had convinced me that I was at fault for that too because I didn’t eat the right number of pieces of candy at one point in time. Once I was on a high enough dose of meds for a while most of the delusions went away, although near the end of hearing voices they had convinced me it was too late for me and that I was going to hell no matter what I did in the future because I didn’t commit suicide fast enough to atone for my sins or get arrested and thrown in jail fast enough, although I never did end up in jail. I still struggle with thinking I’m going to hell when I die, even though I tell myself that logically I really don’t know whether I’m going to heaven or hell when I die.

1 Like

Oh, man, @sea00115699, I identify with this so much and want to give you such a big hug.

My delusions are similar to yours in that the underlying theme of all of them is that I am stupid and wrong and that all the bad things that happen are my fault. It’s like my brain interalized the childhood lessons of my parents: you have to do the right things or bad things will happen! and flipped it on its head so that it’s now: bad things have happened so you must not have done the right things! And then crafts elaborate backstories about how that’s true.

Since your delusions seem to be so consistently self-flagellating, I wonder if you’ve ever been treated for depression?

3 Likes

Most of my delusions that have faded have faded gradually, and I went through a “fence” period in which I had doubts about them, but still clung to them. As for my current delusions, they are in the fence period- half of me doubts them and half of me (the sz) still fabricates reasons why they’re true. I guess they’re not full blown delusions if I recognize that they are delusional- but it’s like part of my brain is logical and the other half is irrational. Medicine has had the biggest impact on delusion reduction.

1 Like

yeah I have depression too. Thanks for the hug. Don’t delusions suck? I’m on a really high dose of abilify so most of the delusions and the voices went away, but I still worry about hell often and my psychologist thinks that it comes from having schizophrenia.

1 Like

While I certainly empathize with all of you and your respective delusions, it makes me feel better to know the vast majority get over them in time. Therefore, I am experiencing something typical and my meds are working. Even with the right dose of meds, it appears to take time. I am half-in and half-out. I go back and forth with all the reasons I AM in a brain study and then I go through all the reasons I’m NOT. I do feel like it’s slowly going away. Part of me doesn’t want it to. After all according to the brain study, I am the most intelligent and wealthiest person in the world. On the other hand, all the ‘pain’ the brain study has put me through, I won’t miss. I have had such extreme paranoia and I blamed the brain study for it. Were ‘they’ f**kin’ with my head or do I have a mental illness? Obviously, I need to be taking my meds. I appreciate all the responses.

1 Like

They’re not gone, they’ve just gone from boiling on the front burner to simmering on the back burner.

Meds + therapy + recovery-oriented attitude.

1 Like

This, @shutterbug said it right.

1 Like

I imagine it’s your sz and your depression playing together. What an awful combination!

1 Like

Medicine took all delusions away.i m using 75mg xeplion and it took all delusions away.

I was always on the fence except when I was younger like 17, now I’m 36. When I used large doses of L-theanine my delusions became zero and also large doses of Folic acid and vitamin B12 and Alpha lipoic acid made me better but I simply don’t have money. Recently I ordered L-theanine and I will get it in another ten days, US to India. My delusions can not be controlled, they control me, my memory is like absent and my delusions are like alternate reality, my delusions make me absent in this world and make me live in delusion world.

My delusions are on the fence. I believed I was Batman, Harley Quinn, Mary Magdalene, Eve, Athena, and the Antichrist. Its a wonder that I can function with all of that. Right now I’m trailing on the delusions that I’m Harley. :skull:My life, my life, my life.

1 Like

Similar frame of mind here.

1 Like

My delusions haven’t gone away they have just faded to the background a bit. They still come out when I am under stress though.

Yeah you’re probably right