How come most people on this forum are pro-med compliant?

Without antipsychotics I have strange behavior and I’m religious in a way that’s not normal. The men don’t go away though with antipsychotics and that’s because they’re real. Also I thought I worked for the government without meds. I don’t. So I take my meds.

They put me on it for the akathisia initially but I stopped taking it for some reason, I didn’t think it was working. I didn’t give it much of a chance though, I might mention it to my psychiatrist. Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

1 Like

Which sounds very much like the patient who know what to say to stay out of hospital rather than necessarily being honest and upfront about what really is going on. That might work for a while but eventually it’ll catch up with the person. The best policy is to be truthful not to engineer ways to avoid hospitalisation if needed.

1 Like

If you stay around here long enough you see the sense in med compliance. It is really the most effective and you could say necessary part of trying to function with schizophrenia. It works over placebo for most so it is backed by evidence!

6 Likes

Many of us are not rookies.

I am part of this forum and I am not med compliant all the time. I get it into my head that i do not need them sometimes, then by time it goes too far i can barely remember i need to take them and get worse.

I hate hospitals, so i now take my pills.

2 Likes

I’ve experienced a decline in functioning after coming off stable antipsychotics which means I can’t and might not go to school and work. Even on meds, I struggled to be around others and had cognitive issues in the classroom.

I’m trying to figure out disability with mom and dad. Otherwise, I think I feel happier with less stress measured over, say a couple of weeks, or even a month. I’m not neurotypical level happy or functional at all. Additionally, the only antipsychotic which worked for me without unbearable side effects was seroquel, and it still caused very bad side effects for me.

While functioning isn’t on neurotypical level, I’m arguably a bit more emotionally stable off the antipsychotics, though I will take them at low doses occasionally for a few days. I take a whole host of other pharmaceuticals and supplements daily, and will talk to my psychiatrist about the possibility of a mood stabilizer of some sort next week.

Live on the streets or take meds are my choices

4 Likes

I am not med compliant if i have to take pills. I WANT to be, but my memory is so bad I continously forget. So I chose the Injection. I love my family and feel they deserve to have me at the best I can be, which meds bring.

3 Likes

I get my medicines, but I don’t believe I’ll be on them forever. I have to just pay attention to my treatment and look for the right people to help me. Going nuts and suddenly stopping medicines is not a good idea for me.

1 Like

If I wasn’t med compliant the last thing I’d be doing is writing to you on this forum.

I have the same issue with forgetting meds. I also really always want to get off again deep down, it just feels like im not “me” on meds and i cant solve the underlying issues/causes on meds.

But indeed, my family and especially my kid are a reason to stay on them. I might go on injection as well to avoid the forgetting and the quitting, but im scared of it - it feels like a giving up on the thought i will get off them.

1 Like

Have you tried maybe risperdal or seroquel? Tell your doc the akathisia is a problem

1 Like

Because this forum is provided by internet,and there are thousands more who are ill and homeless or any.

I hate side effects of APs and soon i will be off them

2 Likes

I had a bad time being off of meds. I learned the hard. Way. Sure you’ll have problems but it’ll be alright. Meds do help.

3 Likes

Oh god. I feel for you. That was how it was for me, too.

I suppose it depends on what being pro-med entails. I believe it’s important to take meds if it’s good for the person, in that for them the benefits outweigh the costs. But it’s hard when costs outweigh benefits or they’re equally matched.

1 Like

When i took Xeplion I had to pay R7000. So thats like 600 dollars for ONE injection.

Its hard to be med compliant at that price

1 Like

How long since you off meds?