How can you help someone with sz recognize that they need to address their delusions?

Our son is diagnosed sz and is preparing to move into independent living tomorrow but he’s very delusional so he may unintentionally offend the other room mates. What has worked to talk to someone who doesn’t believe their thoughts are not reality? I’ve got the LEAP book… any advice from consumers or parents please?

I don’t know, I believe all my ‘delusions’ are real.

Maybe try posting this on family.schizophrenia.com which is a forum for family members. You might get some really helpful tips from other parents.

1 Like

It’s hard for me to know where my delusions start and my accurate perceptions end. For me, the truth is stranger than fiction. It is really hard to dispel a delusion. The only thing that helped me was medications. Also, I’ve learned to not talk about some of the things I’m perceiving. It gets me in trouble.

1 Like

Turtle - that helped; I’ll pray for you and your goals and dreams!

1 Like

Crimby,

That actually is good coaching for us with our son and I deeply appreciate it. I hope you stay out of trouble! Hugs

My son has started pointing out when my thinking is extreme/off. (He knows me really well) I get upset, though, and it’s just about impossible for me to switch my thinking just by being told I’m wrong. I do recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. That way, in a private supportive environment he can work on some of his thoughts and feelings.

@SzAdmin: Here’s one to copy to the Family forum:

You need not to dismiss his delusions. You need to play the role of them and try to make him open up in his core, that you are not trying to hurt him or mislead him, but rather are trying to make him see that you really do love him and are trying to help. It’s not just incorrect thinking, it is usually caused by trauma or rejection, and building a trusting relationship and being humane can do wonders. He probably truly doesn’t want to live this way, and changing the way you communicate is really key along with medication in making a breakthrough in separating fantasy and reality.