Hollywood and Nepotism

I keep hearing about Hollywood and nepotism. I think Hollywood is overrun with nepotism, much more than any other industry. That’s in front of, and behind, the camera. Maybe fans complaining about it will get someone’s attention.

I think Hollywood being so incestuous is stopping better talent from coming in. There should always be auditions and, many times, there aren’t.

However, it is what it is.

Bottom line: someone can still try to get in from outside the industry. Some still do. If they can’t, or they don’t like it once they’re there, they are free to do something else for work. That’s the decision I made with broadcasting.

Some of the complaining about nepotism sounds like jealousy. Nepo baby is a degrading term, making the user sound, well, mean.

What do you think?

I’m so curious to hear from @Charles_Foster because her sister works in the industry.

2 Likes

This is probably true to a decent degree in every industry. The saying “It’s not what you , it’s who you know”, has been around forever.

4 Likes

There is a car dealership in town that is run by the fourth generation. It keeps getting passed down the family. Same with a pharmacy in town. Some families just run certain busineses. I don’t see why the entertainment industry would be different. Ethan Peck’s grandad was Gregory Peck. Family business.

4 Likes

The thing about nepotism in “Hollywood” is,

You never know if it’s going to work out.

I mean, you get just awful actors getting coveted roles because of their parents.

Look at Dakota Johnson.

Fully horrible, no talent actor.

I’d also say she’s not hot by film standards.

I’ve met people in real life way hotter than her.

BUT,

Just every once in a bit,

You get a Laura Dern.

Given an unfair shot at a sought after role?

Yes.

Killed it?

Yes.

Always kills it because she’s a badass,

Yes.

I think my sister has to keep an open mind when dealing with these people.

That said,

It’s unfair and like 90% of the time results in flash in the pan actors that are soon to be on VH1’s “Where Are They Now”.

4 Likes

Thank you for replying @Charles_Foster. Also, thank you @Bowens and @shutterbug. This is good conversation.

4 Likes

There’s nepotism in the Military, Police Force, Firefighters, Post Office…etc…it isn’t exclusive to Hollywood.

5 Likes

I’m a product of nepotism
My Mom was a teachers aid for many years when she got me into the education field following in her footsteps as a teachers aid myself

2 Likes

I really got nothing to say or add to this thread, except I’m not a fan of Hollywood and would never work there. I guess I feel the same for investment banking now. Maybe I was a douche back in the day or a high functioning normie…

They don’t call it “hollyweird” for nothing. I also think it will always be there and will always be around and is a huge industry that has a lot of pull and sway and influence.

I’ve seen hotter normal people irl than in the movies. It’s all fake, I believe.

1 Like

A lot of actors are not well paid. I guess the same goes for sports and stuff. Only a small number of people make it.

1 Like

Oh Hollywood is without a doubt one of the worst industries to work in when it comes to nepotism.

All my friends from film school who tried to do the whole move out to LA and work up the ladder thing have quit and now pretty much none of them work in film anymore.

They told me it’s just nearly impossible to work for free for like a million years and then barely move up the ladder, when you have people who are already working in the industry giving their 3rd generation relatives or whomever really high status and good paying crew jobs.

On the other hand Joe Bob Briggs said “There’s really no more L.A.”

Like modern digital and sound tech has made it to where you can shoot a movie in your backyard and have it look and sound amazing.

Some people still do it though. Like thousands move to LA every year in hope of those silver screen dreams.

4 Likes

That’s what I said up top. Thanks for backing me up. It’s sad.

I was watching a video that said this. That’s unbelievable.

I had no idea. That’s so interesting.

For actors, I know you have to do it young, like by early teenager hood. The parents have to help a lot.

Thanks for your input. This is awesome.

1 Like

Thanks for giving your input @Wave @Lostboy @Anthony1337 @Patrick.

4 Likes

I like international films. Hopefully Hollywood will lose its stranglehold on the world, as bollywood and nollywood and China and all the other great sources of entertainment continue to grow in their influence!

1 Like

I’m tired of seeing the same actors in every darn movie. But people are stupid. Movies with Hollywood stars sell so it’s no wonder they use already famous actors. The film industry is made for mass consumption.

I would like to see a good movie with unknown actors and to top it off, give it a bad ending. :rofl:

2 Likes

To further rant,

One example of nepotism that drives me insane is Zoe Kravitz.

Hollywood has bent over backwards to make her a respected film and television actor.

It’s just not going to happen, guys.

She’s gorgeous and no one can argue that.

But she’s a mediocre talent at best.

In every project she’s in they have to have a super strong cast to support her.

Sorry about it, Zoe, but she’s mostly an aesthetic.

Her mom kind of is too.

And her dad.

No, Lenny can legit sing and play the guitar,

But he’ll be remembered for the iron abs, boas and sunglasses.

Fact.

1 Like

I’ve seen nepotism in my own life. Not with just me but everyone. I think it’s just more of a natural way of people finding their way to where they need to be.

I don’t see any way around nepotism, after looking up the definition.

Nepotism could even be the reason why troubled kids with no parents end up on the streets.

Not just Hollywood. It’s all relative.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input @FreeLunch @Speedy @Shhh @Charles_Foster.

2 Likes

Nepotism is ubiquitous in the USA. It’s definitely not limited to Hollywood. I mean it exists there too but it seriously is everywhere, or at least that’s my opinion

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.