Help please. Considering trying Seroquel (Quepiatine)

Don’t know much about it. I’m diagnosed Sz/SzA. How did it work for you? Did you have any side effects? I’ve read it doesn’t impact men’s sexual functioning as much as other AP’s.

I know there are newer meds, but they are too pricey. I previously had sexual issues on Risperidone. olanzapine shot my blood sugar way up.

5 Likes

I only tried it for little while so i cant attest to how it may have halped me or not. But yes it doesnt seem to reduce sexual function in my case.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ozzyskits

2 Likes

Considered a weaker med by some. Sleep and weight gain possible.

2 Likes

i was on a sub therapeutic dose for 2 months. it was the first med i ever was on. it made me sleep for 18 hours but the dose was too low to have an effect on my symptoms

2 Likes

It didn’t work out for me. I went bananas on it.

5 Likes

Thanks @robertc @cigarino @everhopeful

2 Likes

It made me sleep a lot

2 Likes

It was my main AP - it worked. I was functional. My dose was 800mg

But I would eat insatiably. Wake up with food on my chest.

You get used to being semi-drowsy. I would feel sleepy at work.
Started my coffee addiction. 6 - 8 cups a day.

Im so glad to be on Geodon/Latuda - Didn’t know life could be different.

2 Likes

It helps with positives, but I feel hungover when I take it.

Very thirsty all the time. Always eating.
Sluggish, heavy body feel. Trouble staying awake.
Trouble speaking coherently.

Gained a lot of weight when I was on it.

I only use it as a prn now, and I resist taking it unless I absolutely have to.

Wgen I take 50mg I sleep for like 14 hours and am a zombie for two days.
But everyone is different. My brother was on 1300mg daily and didn’t feel a thing.

2 Likes

Aren’t you on Abilify? It stopped working?

3 Likes

I’m still on Abilify but will have to switch to a Medicare Advantage plan soon to save money. The HMO’s that cover all my pdoc’s and health care providers classify Abilify as a Tier 4 drug, which has a higher copay. Seroquel is a Tier 3 drug that is much cheaper than the Tier 4. The only company that covers all my health care people is WellCare. All the other companies don’t cover everyone.

3 Likes

Thanks @Pikasaur @Aziz @Kxev @anon21849028

3 Likes

Seroquel makes me severely constipated. I have to take Miralax (a powder that you mix into water) every single day. But I guess that’s not that big of a deal, having to take MIralax.

Seroquel makes me heat intolerant, but what AP doesn’t do that?

Also, I need to quickly get ready for bed after I take Seroquel, at bedtime. If I take more than 20 minutes or so, to get into bed, I feel wasted. Like, I can’t even walk straight and I feel so confused. It also makes me feel like I’m gonna pass out. But as long as I get into bed quickly, I’m fine.

2 Likes

Thanks @Blossom

2 Likes

Im glad im coming down from risperidone. I have been having sex issues as well and trying to get back to normal. Fearing i will need to take testosterone supplement at this point.

3 Likes

Some people find it too sedating, but I don’t have that problem with the drug. I’ve been on 400 x 2 Seroquel daily for over fifteen years now. I don’t feel it, until I don’t get it. Then I’m pretty jittery and antsy.

3 Likes

Testosterone would be a mixed blessing for me. I could use the sexual energy, but I would probably get out of control and do crazy stuff while I was on it.

4 Likes

Thanks @Sherlock @crimby. I appreciate hearing the positive feedback about Seroquel.

2 Likes

It fukking knocked me out cold!

2 Likes