Have you considered the unpleasant fact that the median lifespan of a schizo is 59 years

When I consider that fact I realize that I just got 4 years left. I don’t think there is more time left for me after all I was over medicated for 30 years and of a load minor importance a heavy chain smoker who has not really exercised that much during the last 10 years.
I want to thank all of you for the support you gave me through the years and you are the reason that I now write a speak English decently.
You were all really a great inspiration to me.
I have never met people that were as brave as you are.
I hope for that the youngsters will receive at treatment that prolong their lives so that they will grow old with dignity.

What do you think about this very serious subject.
Every point of view will be respecter.

8 Likes

The median lifespan for someone with my heart condition is 40 years and I’m 55. Very possible to beat the odds so don’t stress over it.

19 Likes

I’m 54. Physically I’m finding things tougher already. I lead a sedentary lifestyle.

I was doing well losing weight, but fell off the calorie counting bandwagon.

It’s quite sobering thinking I’ve only got about 10 years left. I feel like I should be getting my affairs in order :disappointed:

7 Likes

Thanks for kicking me in the but with this post. I’m gonna take my health more serious after those bowl of ice cream :ice_cream: frfr

8 Likes

i hope the lifespam thing is wrong. i think it has a lot to do with lifestyle and even medicine. and i hope to live long. but in my 30s already showing permanate ekg change and my stress echo test was not 100% normal. i dont exercise. hardly eat anymore. when i do eat it is crap. i know its really unhealthy but i having a very hard time changing anything. i look pale, tired and sick lately. and i use nicotine all day and am addicted to sprarkling drinking water (which i know can also be bad) because i can drink like a days worth of fluids in a couple hours.

4 Likes

59 is the better part of life lived.

4 Likes

I think a lot of it is brought down by suicide and early death. We’ve had 11 people from day treatment pass away in the past 5 years and some were in there twenties. I think that’s why it’s so skewed.

5 Likes

Well, I’m 63 so I got a 4 year bonus.

6 Likes

I’m 62 with good health…I d k.

6 Likes

I’m 34 years old. I’m sort of content and happy now. Don’t think I’ll make it past 40 or even 50. I used to think (old days before schizo) of making 6 figures, retiring as a millionaire early, and having a model wife and kids, but I’m just put off by that stuff now and it makes me sick thinking about it. I wanted to live a longer life or long life (think 80-90 years old) but I’m so paranoid (realist) that I think the world is going to end by 2040 or something and I constantly feel like I put myself in danger tbh.

3 Likes

I’m not worried.

I have enough money to live comfortably for the rest of my life…that is if I die next Thursday.

8 Likes

Story of my life. :tired_face:

2 Likes

I’m actually 58 and I plan to be around for a while.

I think the early death figures for schizophrenics are skewed by street people dying at younger ages as well as factoring in suicides.

Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys is 81 with schizophrenia. Now he has dementia, though.

4 Likes

I believe Brian Wilson has schizoaffective. Was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia years ago.

5 Likes

I believe that the sz figures are skewed by historical data which was biased to people on less newer meds

2 Likes

I agree with the others about the numbers being skewed by suicides at young ages and such. Though the prevalence of smoking among those with schizophrenia and schizoaffective shortens most of our lifespans. Seems most smoke or at least vape.

I’m 44, not worried, think I will live for quite a while longer. Hell, I hope I’m not even halfway through my lifespan. I want to live to be the most crotchety old ass man, like seriously.

I quit smoking cigarettes 3 1/2 years ago, don’t plan on ever going back to that, and I’m often quite active at work, including a lot of up and down stairs. I hardly ever drink, though I do have a thing for cannabis.

6 Likes

Early on, I smoked 2-3 packs a day. I started smoking on break in inpatient, and couldn’t kick the habit. I make my own cigs now. I roll them and use a machine and spend $60 max a month smoking as much as I want. It’s super cheap and easy, but not healthy.

2 Likes

I became addicted to cigarettes in the same way, sighs. Sad but hopefully I’ll quit soon.

2 Likes

I live as if every day is my last day. It depressing for me to think I have to live that long as I am 40 now. If only life was and is still beautiful with non sensical mind and past life.

2 Likes

I guess I made it as I’m 59
It’s all down hill from here on

Hopefully I make it to 70

2 Likes