Have you considered the unpleasant fact that the median lifespan of a schizo is 59 years

I think its more due to lifestyle than the illness itself.

3 Likes

Hes also multimillionaire

4 Likes

Yes, you can. Nash survived till 94 I believe or something like that.

It is the median, not the mean. Also, you have to consider the fact that, if 5-10 percent commit suicide, that can drastically skew the median to the left.

5 Likes

I will have one foot in and one foot out for as long as it works

4 Likes

I secured a heart :heart: to all of you and I found your messages very inspirationally.
:pray: Thanks

I just want to add that I have started to offer food and cigs and sweets and choklate to strangers. This evening I realize that it’s caused by a some how manic behaviors so when I realized that I all ways had the last word here in this forum. I started to realize that there were something terribly wrong with me. I finally realized that I was affective Schizophrenic so now I try to get event out by taking 700 mg Seroquel by mouth.

Thanks to all of you for your contributens
I love :heart: you all.

4 Likes

Personally I’m tired already and I’m only 43.

7 Likes

I’m 60, and as far as I can tell, I’m still alive.

3 Likes

I don’t expect more than 10 more years. If I do get more, it will be a bonus, I guess. I’m 51 at the beginning of May.

5 Likes

There’s a quote that goes something like:

“We’re not here for a long time, but we’re here for a good one.”

SZ or not, life happens.

Try something new. Listen to a favorite song. Feel the sunshine.

Do one small thing each day that makes you happy.

I dunno, maybe I sound a bit out there, but what I’m trying to say is that regardless of diagnosis, nothing is promised for today. So why not make the time we have a good one?

10 Likes

Your fate is not determined. Don’t sell yourself short. Weight loss is your primary goal. Being a mod on this site does not help you sitting to watch us, even though it is a decent passtime.

My one suggestiom would be to commit to spending most of your day on your feet. I walk around the house double thumbing my tablet to type. It will take some trying to get usee to it and your dad will probably tell you to sit down, but dammit man you gotta try

6 Likes

It may have something to do with suicide and substance abuse.

4 Likes

Yea … It would have to make a difference. But I think I’m at risk myself. Need to clean up my act

2 Likes

Moved to DX’d - Sz/SzA as this is a schizophrenia discussion.

v.

1 Like

i believe we lose years on the average due to lack of proper medical care. i almost died at 60 but my good surgeon saved my life etc

and then there’s the oncologist i have and so on and so on,

so take care to see good doctors if you can!!!

judy

3 Likes

When you factor out those with sz that die by suicide then the average age of mortality for sz is 64 according to bing AI

" Certainly! Let’s focus on the average age of death for individuals with schizophrenia, excluding those who die by suicide. Schizophrenia is a severe mental disorder characterized by hallucinations, delusions, and impaired social functioning. Unfortunately, individuals with schizophrenia face a higher risk of premature mortality compared to the general population.

Here’s what the research tells us about life expectancy for people with schizophrenia:

1. Average Life Expectancy with Schizophrenia:
  1. Potential Life Lost:
  1. Risk Factors for Earlier Death in Schizophrenia:

In summary, while the average age of death for individuals with schizophrenia is influenced by various factors, excluding suicides provides a clearer picture of the impact of the condition on life expectancy. It’s essential to address modifiable risk factors and prioritize mental health support to improve outcomes for those affected by schizophrenia"

3 Likes

If you keep the weight down, don’t smoke or take other drugs and exercise then that mitigates the other factors that kill us.

Meds do kill us earlier though as illustrated by the Bing AI info.

1 Like

I asked bing : what can a schizophrenic do to live longer?

Living with schizophrenia involves managing both the mental and physical health aspects of the condition. Here are some strategies that may help improve life expectancy for individuals with schizophrenia:

1. Early Treatment: Seeking treatment as soon as symptoms appear can significantly improve the outlook of the condition¹.
  2. Healthy Lifestyle: Regular exercise and a balanced diet can help reduce the risk of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases².
  3. Avoiding Substance Abuse: Staying away from smoking, alcohol, and recreational drugs is crucial as these can exacerbate symptoms and lead to additional health problems².
  4. Regular Medical Care: Establishing a relationship with a trusted healthcare provider can make it easier to manage and treat serious medical conditions².
  5. Social Support: Building a strong support network can provide emotional stability and help in coping with the challenges of the disorder³.
  6. Purposeful Living: Finding a purpose or engaging in activities that bring joy and fulfillment can have a positive impact on overall well-being³.

It’s important to note that these are general suggestions and the effectiveness can vary from person to person. Consulting with healthcare professionals for personalized advice is always recommended…

Source: Conversation with Bing, 02/04/2024
(1) How Schizophrenia Can Affect Life Expectancy - Healthline. How Schizophrenia Can Affect Life Expectancy.
(2) What is the life expectancy for people with schizophrenia?. What is the life expectancy for people with schizophrenia?.
(3) Interventions for Improving Longevity in Those With Schizophrenia. https://www.psychiatryadvisor.com/home/schizophrenia-advisor/interventions-for-improving-longevity-in-those-with-schizophrenia/.
(4) en.wikipedia.org. Schizophrenia - Wikipedia.

4 Likes

Next, as a recovering addict who has not used drugs or alcohol in the last 34 years I’d like to see the life expectancy of a schizophrenic who doesn’t abuse substances.

3 Likes

@77nick77

It icreases life expectancy for those that don’t die by suicide or substance misuse by 7 years!

1. Addressing Modifiable Risk Factors:
2 Likes

I heard 70-90% of schizophrenics smoke. I don’t know. I heard there’s lower rates of lung cancer amongst schizophrenics who smoke, but I don’t know if that’s true lol.

2 Likes