Is it true that schizophrenias die early

i heard that schizophrenias die earlier than average people why is that. this is scary.

2 Likes

By a couple of decades I presume.

1 Like

omg this sucks. is there a way to live longer.

2 Likes

Don’t smoke, drink, and take meds I guess. Exercise and stay safe, I guess.

3 Likes

i guess idk if thats going to work i hope.

1 Like

Ten percent of sz’s commit suicide, so if you control for that you get a more accurate measure of the lifespan of sz’s. Also, so many people living on the street are sz, and life is much more precarious there. I bet that if you’re measuring the lifespans of stable, med compliant sz’s taking these two factors into account, the lifespans of sz’s isn’t so much less than that of regular people.

2 Likes

Also, judging from my personal observations here at the assisted living center, a much greater portion of sz’s smoke cigarettes. That also brings down lifespans.

2 Likes

was just about to post this. A LOT of schizophrenics smoke cigarettes or use drugs/abuse alcohol (not all, though).

1 Like

We die younger mainly because of the meds, smoking, addiction issues like excessive drinking and drug use.

I no longer smoke and I don’t drink alcohol or do drugs but I certainly take meds.

Depakote already did a number on my liver.

I’m not God but I don’t expect to live past 65

2 Likes

I think both schizophrenia and having to take drugs that are helping sz, but at the same time are damaging natural processes in our body are two factors that call for us to be extra kind to ourselves by taking care of our health.

Excersise, eat healthy, supplement, practice mindfulness…things like these are particulary important for people with our predicament to counter the disease itself and side effect of the drugs.

1 Like

Yes, when I die, I want it to be in the morning, say around 8:00 am.

Seriously though, I’m getting close to the average. As everybody says, there’s certain factors that bring the average down. Suicide, not eating right, smoking, drugs, being sedentary. Some of the things that drag the average down are under our control.

2 Likes

Lets stay positive and hope to live long!

2 Likes

To be fair life usually sucks when your old anyways would rather die young and dont forget about all the people that die young from other reasons like car wrecks , cancer , ect

1 Like

I agree, also to add, negative symptoms contribute to early death. They can cause obesity, heart disease, diabetes etc Severe negative symptoms prevent me from exercising, eating healthy, etc As a result of staying in bed most of the time due to no energy from severe negative symptoms I gained 160lb in a couple of years.

I am obese now, was 135-140lb before sz, got up to 295lb after. I am taking meds for bp, cholesterol and Metformin for prediabetes. I would have developped diabetes if they didnt stop my Zyprexa.

My internist Dr told my psychiatrist to stop my Zyprexa as it was causing metabolic and liver problems.

Funnily my internist Dr knew my psychiatrist when I gave him his name. They went to medschool together. He told me to say hi to my psychiatrist.

“Internists are medical doctors who only treat adults. They practice internal medicine, which broadly refers to conditions affecting the internal organs.”

Yes. Exactly. I didn’t put down med’s because I didn’t want to sound anti treatment, but when they first put me on a major tranquilizer I almost immediately lost 70 lbs. off my bench press.

1 Like

Of course our chances of dying early go up. We find it harder to excerise, to eat healthy, just to move! And we find it harder to be happy.

Happy people live longer.

Ä° m 40 years old and i feel like i m done with life.

Don’t have dodgy tattoos and take dangerous slimming tablets and preworkouts… :wink:

3 Likes