Has anyone been able to quit smoking ciggarettes?

Has anyone been able to quit smoking? I know the link between my addiction amd disease makes it harder. But I am desperate to quit. How did you do it?

2 Likes

I have tried everything with no luck, I have been able to walk away from drinking, but ciggies has it’s grip on me

1 Like

Yes.
You have to accept that you will suffer for a while without cigarettes.

3 Likes

I just switched to vaping.

3 Likes

I just quit cold turkey. I wasn’t a heavy smoker, so it wasn’t that tough for me for some reason. I must be lucky

2 Likes

I quit when I was 21, was one of the best things I have ever done. I went cold turkey when I quit, no aids or anything. It is just something you have to suffer with and get out of the way until you don’t have to deal with it anymore.

3 Likes

I also switched to vaping. I rarely smoke cigarettes now. I plan on completely quitting smoking and vaping for my 31st birthday. It’s about time I really tried quitting. Maybe you could look for a day that holds special meaning to you to give up smoking. That way you can remind yourself when you’re tempted to smoke again. Heck, make this Wednesday a special day!

2 Likes

Funny thing was I thought they were tracking me through ciggies.

Havnt smoked one in 5 years cause of that fear I used to have.

Suppose I can call that healthy paranoia haha

6 Likes

For one day I smoked as much as I wanted. I counted how many cigarettes it was. Then the next day I had one less . And then one less again for the next day . And so on until I had my last cigarette. Half way through I switched to light cigarettes so I would not enjoy them as much.

4 Likes

I quit in August of last year after smoking years a pack a day. First I switched to gum and then I quit the gum. It’s possible to quit. There is always hope. But I still crave for cigarettes every now and then.

3 Likes

I am still trying to quite. It is extremely hard , but I think you or I can do that… Quite smoking that is.

1 Like

I’m gonna try quitting again today

3 Likes

@BriannaXoLynn, I quit back in 2006. My son smoked too. One day, my son challenged me. He said, “Mom, if you quit, I’ll quit.” That was an offer I could not refuse. We both quit that very day.

6 Likes

I’m on my eighth day of chantix.
So far so good.
I stopped tobacco today.
Not really feeling any withdrawal symptoms yet.
I did feel a little withdrawal middle of last week.
I don’t know how this med really works but it has reduced my cravings a lot.
Now I just have to break the habit I’ve had for 23 years.

4 Likes

I quit chewing tobacco after years of heavy use with the patch. Haven’t used any tobacco or nicotine in 3 years or so. You have to want to quit and be willing to do deal with the withdrawals.

4 Likes

I quit cold turkey years ago.
Dive right into it.

4 Likes

I tried cold turkey, but I always gave in when the worst of withdrawal started.
I just needed something to take the edge off.
I guess I’m not a very strong person when it comes to things like this.

3 Likes

I quit gradually after having smoked heavily for over 50 years. First, I cut it down to 5 cigarettes a day. After a few months, I cut it down to 4, then 3, then 2, then 1, then 1/2 and finally just a few puffs until the day it dawned on me that it was time to really quit. It was no big deal after getting it down to a few puffs of one a day. That will be 4 years ago in October.

2 Likes

I stopped cold turkey on 07 April 2009 after 2 years of a quarter pack a day.

The first two weeks were hard; then it got better as the weeks went by. I had more time to do other things instead of puffing away every hour or so.

But I do miss it sometimes.

2 Likes

I quit cold turkey 5 years ago. I picked up vaping this past October to calm my nerves.

3 Likes